Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Thread breakage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-thread-breakage-t81687.html)

Candace 12-09-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by peppermint
Hello Candace

Yes I did think about that. I purchased new silky and coats & Clark. I just have to keep thinking postive and not give up.
If I can figure this out, I'm going to be one happy lady.

Well, Coats and Clark is not a good thread IMHO. So, that may be your problem. Some machines are more picky about quality thread than others.

peppermint 12-09-2010 05:09 PM

What thread would be better. I always heard that cotton thread is for quilters. I'm always willing to learn.

IBQLTN 12-09-2010 05:12 PM

Did you check your sewing advisor? On my Designer I there is a specific stitch for machine quilting even though it's 'free motion'. It's been too long since I looked at the D-II and I can't recall the settings on that machine. Do you having the quilting stitch card?

Peggy

nursie76 12-09-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by peppermint
What thread would be better. I always heard that cotton thread is for quilters. I'm always willing to learn.

I know that most quilters use cotton thread, and I know it is ideal for hand quilting. But, I use Gutterman polyester sew all and have never had a problem. I have had a few problems with coates and clark in my Bernina depending on what I was doing. It does seem odd that it does fine when regular stitching but breaks for quilting. If you mean FMQ'ing, then as has been suggested, it may be the way you are moving your material, too fast, too slow, or changing direction rapidly....I am no expert by any means, but hope you can find the problem.

Candace 12-09-2010 05:48 PM

Yes, cotton thread is good but try a different brand and see if that helps your problem. There are MANY, better quality threads on the market. Madeira, Mettler, Aurifil, YLI, Superior just to name a few... Gutterman cotton thread may be o.k. for you.

peppermint 12-09-2010 06:54 PM

Lady's Lady's
I have been able to quilt with out my thread breaking.
I again had taken my coat's and Cark off my top thread and put on a sulky. Still same bobbin threat (Coat @ Clark) I again changed my tension to 2.8.
I also put a book by my pressure foot so that my heel is even with the rest of my foot. I just have been doing circles and a few hearts. There not very pretty but in a few short years I may be signing in as the Quilting Queen writing book staring in quilting movies. Ok ok I can dream can't I :lol:

nursie76 12-09-2010 08:25 PM

Great! Now there will be no stopping you!
Hmmm.....starring in quilting movies :?: Put me on the list to watch! 8-) Sounds very interesting!

Honestly though, isn't it a great feeling when it begins to flow correctly?

DawnMarie 12-09-2010 09:53 PM

Somebody should think about turning Jennifer Chiaverini's books into movies. I can see them being on Lifetime. :)