Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP with thread color! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-thread-color-t61101.html)

Crafty Chick 08-24-2010 07:09 AM

I am hand quilting a memory quilt for my son. This was my first quilt and I did not think ahead when selecting my backing and now I have a problem that I need your help with. The quilt is made up of white, black and burgundy blocks and I am quilting around each photo. Here is the problem-I also backed the entire quilt with the burgundy fabric. So now, do I quilt each block respectively white on white, black on black etc which will show on the back or quilt all in burgundy which will show on the white and black blocks? I have put this off long enough and need to hear what you all would do.

gollytwo 08-24-2010 07:14 AM

Quilt with colours that match the block on the top; it doesn't matter that they'll show on the burgundy back.

ckcowl 08-24-2010 07:19 AM

we would love to see pictures :)
i agree with gollytwo; use what you like best on the top, it does not matter so much what shows of the back, unless you really hate the stitching showing on the back. but do it the way you like it best, it's your project.

sahm4605 08-24-2010 07:24 AM

you can also put burgundy thread in the bobbin for the back if it would bother you. Just make sure the thread weights are as close as you can get them. That way you wont have tension problems.

Mamawcj 08-24-2010 07:28 AM

You might try to find a varigated thread with those colors. I long arm quilted a batik quilt with a solid back with varigated thread and have had lots of compliments on it. Good luck!

Spydee 08-24-2010 07:35 AM

Here are a couple of things I would try...

:arrow: Variegated thread
I would try a black/gray/white or dark red/gray/white. Bring the quilt top along with you and pull out a healthy arms-length section of thread and see how it look against everything if possible.

:arrow: Gray thread
While it will not blend in completely, you might be surprised how it does not stick out.

And I would use the same thread in the top and bottom, unless you are confident in adjusting tension.

No matter what I am sure the quilt will be wonderful

kathy 08-24-2010 08:09 AM

I am hand quilting a memory quilt for my son
hard to use a bobbin when your hand quilting! LOL

Crafty Chick 08-24-2010 08:12 AM

You are right-I do not have this problem when machine quilting-HA!

madamekelly 08-24-2010 10:26 AM

Without seeing the quilt, I can just use my 'head picture'. I would take some crumbs from the quilt, and try the different ideas to see what 'speaks' to me. I think the idea of burgundy for all of it would be quiet on the back, and dramatic on the front. I try to stay 'out of the box' whenever I have to chose. It makes each project MINE! lol!

Spydee 08-24-2010 11:00 AM

Oops (this is what I get for speed reading/replying on break)...

I thought you were going to machine quilt, but I still think that a gray thread would be beautiful. It will show, but won't scream "look-at- me, look-at- me ."

The shade of gray will depend on the exact shade of burgundy, so bring some swatches with you when you go pick out the thread.

I am sure the quilt will be treasured no matter what color thread you finally settle on.