Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with using metallic thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-using-metallic-thread-t247389.html)

michelleoc 05-25-2014 09:40 PM

help with using metallic thread

I want to use metallic thread on some blocks that I've appliqued. What size needle is the best? Should stitch size be changed? is there anything else I need to know? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mommysewist 05-25-2014 10:31 PM

There's a metallic needle... I think it's just called that. I'd stitch slow and definitely do a sample first ;-) you might need to adjust your bobbin tension (metallic thread goes in the top and a plain thread in the bobbin). Adjust tension so bobbin thread doesn't show.

annesthreads 05-25-2014 10:46 PM

My sister bought metallic thread at a show last week and the stallholder's advice was to put the tension on 1 and use a topstitch needle.

Knitette 05-25-2014 10:54 PM

I use metallic thread quite a bit, including FMQ. If you don't have a metallic needle (these have a coated eye to help prevent fraying), then a Topstitch needle has the same size eye.

I have used metallic in the bobbin too, but if you don't need the effect, then an ordinary polyester is fine. I'm not a fan of poly, but for metallics I find it a little less 'grippy'.

I would use at least a 90/14 and you will have to loosen your top tension - you may be surprised by how much. I've not had to change stitch size, but I do sew slower than normal at a steady pace. Happy quilting :)

Z 05-26-2014 03:15 AM

Go to superior thread.com for info on using metallic thread.

luana 05-26-2014 03:46 AM

I think the key is to purchase the best quality thread possible. I agree with others that using a metallic and a strong thread in the bobbin are important. Good Luck

eparys 05-26-2014 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 6731265)
My sister bought metallic thread at a show last week and the stallholder's advice was to put the tension on 1 and use a topstitch needle.

Any time I use metallic thread, I use a a topstitch needle - even in machine embroidery. It has a larger eye and a longer grove - minimizing shredding. Play with the Tension on a practice piece until you are happy.

ManiacQuilter2 05-26-2014 05:55 AM

I use to quilt often with metallic thread. I found back in the old days (late 90s) that a metallic thread called YENMET gave me no problems. I also used a Schmetz Metallic needle and All Purpose Sewers Aid (bought at JAF) putting a few drops on the metallic to ease the thread thru the DSM. Good Luck.

QuiltE 05-26-2014 07:44 AM

ditto to much of the above

Also ... depending on your machine, there might be a different way to thread the machine for metallic vs. non-metallic threads. You also might have a silicone lubricant pad, that the thread runs thru. It will help cut down on the static electricity that builds in the thread.

I did some metallic FMQing in the winter and struggled my way thru it. Later, I learned that not all metallic threads are equal and I had probably chosen one of the least desirable!!! Lesson Learned ... next time, I will buy the thread from my sewing machine dealer and do the discussion up-front, instead of once, I am in the thick of using it .... and getting frustrated! :)

michelleoc 05-26-2014 08:40 AM

Thank you so much for all the help everyone, if I get brave enough today, I might tackle this. Otherwise, I'll sandwich quilts.