Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help - Want to buy my wife quilt/sewing machine for X-mas!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-want-buy-my-wife-quilt-sewing-machine-x-mas-t30575.html)

dizzy 12-01-2009 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
She'll love you for wanting to do this for her. But if my DH bought me a new sewing machine without my input I would love the gesture but be disheartened too. A sewing machine is personal to most quilters and lots of research and thought goes into a new machine. Go to the dealer and see the prices of the various machines and then give your wife lots of new machine brochures along with a check! :)

Amen I agree with you If my hubby tried to get me one he would have been lost.So do what BellaBoo sugest it's the perfect way to go an you will still give her one great surprise

nellie 12-01-2009 07:29 PM

hello and wecome to board ,boy that,s easy a long arm or mid arm quilting machine , so that she can quilt her quilt tops faster,the one that she has is a good brand ,unless she whats a more pricer machine with more features i have a bernina 730E artista paid alot of money for my bernina around $8,000.00 and change for her, and the newer one that just came out is around $11,000.00 not much change in new machine just more sewing area and light is brighter,good luck hope i help ,but think about a long arm .man i wish my husband would just ask me what i want for xmas

ScubaK 12-01-2009 08:15 PM

Go to your local dealer, which is a place where your wife is probably known.
They can help you pick out a machine for her...if she even has been wanting a machine or something else...
K

Lissa 12-02-2009 03:58 AM

The Viking Designer Diamond by a landslide is the top of the line for Viking. I have one....it does everything! Let me know if you buy it for her. It has the largest screen in the industry and the largest hoop (magestic) in the industry for embroidering. You can use all your previous hoops and pressure feet as Viking makes these interchangable amongst machines. She will absolutely LOVE it...guarenteed. It retails for $9500.00 and may sell for as little as 5000.00 due to the economy. I used to work part time for Viking (inside Joanne's) and can vouch for their performance and high standards./ Lissa

Lissa 12-02-2009 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lissa
The Viking Designer Diamond by a landslide is the top of the line for Viking. I have one....it does everything! Let me know if you buy it for her. It has the largest screen in the industry and the largest hoop (magestic) in the industry for embroidering. You can use all your previous hoops and pressure feet as Viking makes these interchangable amongst machines. She will absolutely LOVE it...guarenteed. It retails for $9500.00 and may sell for as little as 5000.00 due to the economy. I used to work part time for Viking (inside Joanne's) and can vouch for their performance and high standards./ Lissa

Quilt Mom 12-02-2009 06:16 AM

I have enjoyed reading all the replies, and agree that your wife will probably enjoy picking out her own machine. My Christmas wish for you both is that she be well enough to go out and do it, and enjoy the machine after she has it.

JanetM 12-02-2009 07:44 AM

I think your wife has the best husband ever. As for my recommendation...you can't go wrong with a Husqvarna. I had the 1+ which embroidered and sewed. A couple of years ago I traded it in for the Designer SE and I love this machine.

You might want to talk to the dealer about trading in the Platinum and then let your wife choose her new machine. Half the fun of owning one of these machines is getting to choose the perfect one.

The top of the line is the Diamond, then the Designer SE. When the Diamond came out my dealer received quite a few Designer SE's as trade ins.

Good luck.

sewgull 12-02-2009 07:58 AM

Pfaff is my favorite machine. In over 12 years I have never had any problems with my Pfaff 7570. Pfaff if very user friendly.
I have traveled with my machine and no problems with the Pfaff needing any adjustment when I got ready to sew.
Let your wife choose the machine she likes and fits her sewing needs. I machine is a major investment. She will love you forever, next her new machine.
Take care of this jewel of wife you have.

JanetM 12-02-2009 08:26 AM

Dear Guy,

After reading all the suggestions I had this thought.

A sewing machine IS a very personal choice. One of the board members has the best idea.

Why don't you go to the Husq dealer, gather up brochures of all of the machines that would be upgrades to the Platinum machine you wife currently owns.

This way you could wrap up the brochures with a note that one of these machines is hers for the choosing. She can read about the features, decide which she really wants, and then she will know what she really wants before going into the store for a demo. It is hard to make a sound decision in the store if you haven't already done some homework. You become so dazzled by everything it is hard to really consider what is essential and what is not.

These machines are a real investment, so choosing carefully is so important. If your wife really studies the brochures, she will end up with the machine of her dreams.

I think you are incredibly sweet to support her hobby. She is a lucky woman.

Please let us all know what you end up doing and what machine you wife chooses.

wraez 12-02-2009 12:15 PM

Hi... rather than completely surprise her with a machine that she didn't get to check out first, why don't you give her a hand or computer written gift card entitling her to get the machine of her choice. If you want you can include a 'not to exceed' monetary amount.

That would be the greatest gift my hubby could give me! He's given me some really expensive gifts in the past...a mink coat with my initials on the inside, and I had told him for years that I would never want a mink. I think I've worn it maybe 10 times...in CA of all places. Now I would have preferred a gift card, LOL.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA