Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Washing flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-washing-flannel-t277771.html)

ManiacQuilter2 04-15-2016 07:10 AM

Help! Washing flannel

1 Attachment(s)
I know that there have been previous posts on this subject but I am wondering if what is easiest for me, will work. First, this is the fabric I received from my church group. As you can see, the stack of RK flannel is mostly strips and a few cut lengths no larger than 18".

I want to make this quilt:
http://www.brightonsewingcentre.co.u...jellyroll.html

My problem is I live in an apt without the convenience of a W/D. It is a long walk to the laundromat which will cost $3 in quarters.

So, can I soak these flannels in warm or hot water without using soap and then line dry them in my bathroom to dry?? It is the warmest room in the apt which for some still unknown reason is always very warm. I have never had to turn the heat on even when it snowed on Dec 31, 2014. Thanks in advance for your advice.

PS. I am disable and don't drive.

canmitch1971 04-15-2016 07:16 AM

Well flannel does shrink more than other fabrics so if it is at all possible I would somehow try to get them to the laundry mat and dry them in the dryer to shrink them as much as possible before you start.

Jeanne S 04-15-2016 07:19 AM

I have "prewashed" smaller pieces of fabric like that lots of times. I just fill a large bowl or sink with HOT water and let the fabric soak an hour or so. I think sometimes I have added a bit of detergent and swished with my hand too, but not necessary. I then dump out the water, let the fabric drain till it is not so heavy and drippy, then just put them over hangars and let drip dry. I think your plan will work great.
I think hand washing like this is best for small cuts and strips to avoid lots of fraying, flannel and regular cotton.

elnan 04-15-2016 07:29 AM

Seems to me there was a post on here recently about washing jellyrolls or jelly rolls, never sure if that is one word or two. A salad spinner was presented as an option for getting out excess water. Years ago I read a similar article in a quilting magazine.

Bree123 04-15-2016 07:40 AM

There are 3 things that cause fabric to shrink: water, heat, agitation. By hand washing, you are not getting the full benefit, but at the end of the day, how much is it really worth to you to get that extra 1-2% shrinkage? If I really wanted it to turn out nice, I would probably fill the tub or a large sink with plenty of very warm (not hot!) water and some detergent. Then, I would get an old wooden spoon, paint stirrer or a large stick from the yard (try to get it a bit clean before using) and would do my best to really stir up the fabric in the water (hence the need for something deeper than bathroom sink). Finally, I would partially dry with a hair dryer on medium heat. Doesn't need to dry all the way, just about 25-50% of the way dry.

Some people also say they get the flannel to fully shrink by boiling water, turning off stove & immediately adding the fabric. That would shrink it, but it's also liable to damage the cotton fibers and fade the color. But we each need to make our own decisions based on time, money & resources. It will be a lovely quilt regardless and you got a great deal on it! Sewing flannel with a 1/2" seam will help make up for any lack of shrinkage in the pre-wash stage.

Be sure to post a pic for us to admire when it's done! :thumbup:

joyce888 04-15-2016 07:45 AM

I would hand wash in warm water with very little soap and NO fabric softner. Line dry then iron. I truly would not worry about shrinkage after that.

Tartan 04-15-2016 08:07 AM

​Hand washing is best for pre cuts.

bernamom 04-15-2016 08:12 AM

I'm kinda new, but if it is all the same flannel, wouldn't it be easier to wait until the quilt is done and let it do all of it's shrinking in the final wash. It should all shrink at the same rate, since it is all from the same line??? Right? Still learning.

Cheshirecatquilter 04-15-2016 09:49 AM

Fabric stretches more in the crosswise direction than lengthwise. Go ahead, take a piece of fabric and give it a try. It will likewise shrink at different rates, so a block made with pieces sewn every which way may end up looking uneven at best, or downright wonky. And, flannel is fierce when it comes to shrinkage, sometimes taking two or three washings to settle down.

Originally Posted by bernamom (Post 7524087)
I'm kinda new, but if it is all the same flannel, wouldn't it be easier to wait until the quilt is done and let it do all of it's shrinking in the final wash. It should all shrink at the same rate, since it is all from the same line??? Right? Still learning.

gram2five 04-15-2016 10:16 AM

You should be fine soaking them in your kitchen sink. I would fill the sink with hot-to-the-touch water, then add the flannel and stir really well with a wooden spoon or spatula. Let the water cool down and remove the fabric. Repeat if you think it's necessary. You could then roll in a towel to get most of the moisture out and hang to dry in your bathroom.

By the way, I think you have chosen the perfect pattern for those fabrics.