Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Who's up for a bit of maths? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-whos-up-bit-maths-t261650.html)

Vicki1212 02-23-2015 03:25 AM

Help! Who's up for a bit of maths?

Being new to quilting and weak at math, I'm struggling to calculate sizes for a shadow quilt like this one http://madanquilting.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html where the main blocks will be half the size and the background strips slightly wider to get to the final size I want.

My mind is about to explode and I know it's SO simple but I'm totally overthinking it :D

The main feature blocks will be 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" (cut size)
The shadow strips will be 1-1/2" wide (cut size)
The background strips will be 2-1/4" wide (cut size)

So if anyone can help to fill in the missing sizes, I would be SO grateful (1/4" seams):

From your background fabric, cut:
48 squares 1-1/2" x 1-1/2"
5 squares 2-1/4" x 2-1/4"
28 strips 2-1/4" x ?"
30 strips 2-1/4" x ?"

From your shadow fabric, cut:
24 strips 1-1/2" x ?"
24 strips 1-1/2" x ?"

I need a glass of wine now, my brain hurts!!:shock:

Ariannaquilts 02-23-2015 05:22 AM

Vicki, have you watched Jenny ' s video on the optical illusion quilt? It may help you to make it a lot easier than what you're thinking. I don't know what the end size of the quilt you want is but perhaps this would help you out without all the frustration. I just love these quilts and they really are easy to make! Good luck!

PaperPrincess 02-23-2015 05:38 AM

OK, this is what I come up with. PLEASE make a test square!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Focus Squares: 4.5" X 4.5", finish at 4"
Shadow: cut 1 1/2, finish at 1"
Background cut at 2 1/4", finish at 1 3/4"
From your background fabric, cut:
48 squares 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (filler shadow: finish 1")
5 squares 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" (finish 1.75")
28 strips 2-1/4" x 5.5" (Length of your finish focus squares + finish shadow + seam allowance)
30 strips 2-1/4" x 7.25" (length of 28 strips, plus finish background)

From your shadow fabric, cut:
24 strips 1-1/2" x 3.5" (length of your focus squares, minus the finished size of the 48 filler squares from above)
24 strips 1-1/2" x 4.5" (length of your focus squares)

tessagin 02-23-2015 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 7101929)
Vicki, have you watched Jenny ' s video on the optical illusion quilt? It may help you to make it a lot easier than what you're thinking. I don't know what the end size of the quilt you want is but perhaps this would help you out without all the frustration. I just love these quilts and they really are easy to make! Good luck!

Usually, Jenny can help make things so much simpler!

Vicki1212 02-23-2015 11:56 PM

OMWord! I have just watched Jenny's video and it's definitely helped me to understand the piecing better. When I watch how she works, I think maybe I'm a bit pedantic in the way that I piece. Will have to try and relax a little :) AND.... I want one of those irons! I've never seen one before and when she left if lying flat on the board, I thought 'Oh no!' Then I had to look again because I could have sworn, I saw it move and it's too early for it to have been the wine!! Ha, ha, I rewound the video a few times just to get a better look. Love it!

PaperPrincess, thank you very much for your measurements. Love all the exclamation marks after '...test square':D
I will definitely do that and let you know how it turns out.

So much help and friendship on this board! :hug:

Vicki1212 02-24-2015 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Test block successful! Thank you PaperPrincess, your measurements were spot on! Tried to upload a pic but didn't have much luck. Now to get stuck in and cut all the pieces! :eek::D

Vicki1212 02-24-2015 09:31 AM

OMGosh! How did that pic get on there? It said upload failed, ha, ha! Oh well....

Seeing as the pic DID upload, what are your opinions on the width of the shadow? Does it look a bit wide considering my main block is smaller than the pattern block?

mom-6 02-24-2015 10:57 AM

Your block turned out great!

If you change it at all (which I really don't think you need to) I'd say make the shadow a little larger, rather than smaller.

PaperPrincess 02-24-2015 01:11 PM

Yay!!! I did the calcs before I had my coffee! Your block looks great. I think the width of the shadow is fine. When you join your blocks the proportions will be better. Please post the completed project, we would love to see it.