Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help - width too short (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-width-too-short-t307619.html)

Vivianne 10-23-2019 04:27 PM

Help - width too short

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618898[/ATTACH]I sewed jelly roll pieces to make this quilt top, but I cut the width too short and it’s uneven.If I keep trying to make it even by cutting off more it will be ruined. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

bearisgray 10-23-2019 04:32 PM

Not a specific suggestion - but sometimes just walking away from a project for a day or two helps clear one's thinking.

Also - welcome to the Board!

JustAbitCrazy 10-23-2019 04:53 PM

Can you add borders to it to make it the size you want? There are so many colors in the top there are many options for coordinating borders. maybe you even have enough of one of the prints used in the top. It's very adorable, by the way. I think I would do some blanket stitches around the flowers to make them pop more. The light blues ones really blend into the surroundings.

tesspug 10-23-2019 04:54 PM

How uneven is it? Sew side borders on and even them up. What if you made it more uneven, into gentle curves and then cut a side border to appliqué it to. <input id="_webhelper_source" type="hidden" value="{&quot;SOURCE&quot;:&quot;MM-9999&quot;,&quot;BRAND&quot;:&quot;MyCouponsmart&q uot;}">

cjsews 10-23-2019 05:10 PM

You could fold it in half, top to bottom, and even it up. Make sure you have your ruler lined up with the fold so you don’t get a V cut. Just as if you are evening up your folded fabrics

Tartan 10-23-2019 05:17 PM

You can use white chalk and a long ruler to draw on the lines to make it straight. Once the lines are correct ( you can erase chalk and redraw if needed) trim and add side and bottom borders to make a frame for your cute center.

bkay 10-23-2019 05:29 PM

You're going to have to square it up. Watch a video on squaring up a quilt, block or top. The concept is basically the same. It's been a while since I watched one, but they are similar. Watch more than one until you get the concept.
Square up your top and, if it's not big enough, add borders.
jmo
bkay

LAF2019 10-23-2019 06:26 PM

What if you trim the outside into a kind of scalloped border, making sure the inside V of the scallop aligns with any of the uneven areas.

bearisgray 10-23-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8317504)
Can you add borders to it to make it the size you want? There are so many colors in the top there are many options for coordinating borders. maybe you even have enough of one of the prints used in the top. It's very adorable, by the way. I think I would do some blanket stitches around the flowers to make them pop more. The light blues ones really blend into the surroundings.

What she said.

tallchick 10-24-2019 02:34 AM

Not sure if you’re talking about the width being too narrow or the length being too short, but either way I agree that a border is the best way to go to get your desired outcome, cute top!