Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Helpful Tips and Tricks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/helpful-tips-tricks-t265122.html)

newquilter10 05-14-2015 04:42 AM

I use a bar of soap and it does work. I also keep a pair it tweezers in my list of tools. When quilting if needle hard to pull threw I use the tweezers to grap the needle and pull.

mengler 05-14-2015 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 (Post 7194346)
I tried that trick and it did not work for me. But I have read where others had success. Maybe just my scissors.

Instead try cutting fine grit sand paper. Works like a charm.

shy 05-14-2015 05:42 AM

Using cotton thread in your bobbin.be sure to clean out the casing every few changes..it helps the bobbin move better..
When quilting on a DSM make sure none of your quilt is hanging down..this cause tension on the quilt.which stops it from moving well..
Never cut..sew..measure when u are in a hurry..upset..or wore out..just causes more problems..that list goes on and on.lol

DresiArnaz 05-14-2015 06:04 AM

I don't remember who said this but it's helped me.....

Watch where your fabric is going at all times. Forget about that needle. The needle is going to go up and down so don't even look at it

Friday1961 05-14-2015 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 7195126)
I used cloth diapers and diaper pins on my children. I always ran the pin through my hair before pinning it in the diaper and it easily ran through the cloth of the diaper. The oils in your hair work wonders on needles and pins.

Yep, this is an old trick for those of us who used diaper pins....and for pins and needles when sewing, too.

roserips 05-14-2015 08:11 AM

My favorite is to tear fabric for borders and sashings. This way you are guaranteed that it is on grain and your quilt will hang straight. Don't forget to measure through the center for borders then divide and pin so your quilt will come out square.

Snooze2978 05-14-2015 09:17 AM

Also, for thread nets you can go to your local florist and ask for their discarded bloom nets. Most all their flowers come with these nets over them and they just throw them away. I got tons of them from my local grocery store as it had a florist shop inside. They're also long enough that you can cut them in half for your embroidery thread spools. They last longer than the ones made for this purpose as they are some sort of plastic and the ready made ones are thread made.

judykay 05-14-2015 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by newquilter10 (Post 7195195)
I use a bar of soap and it does work. I also keep a pair it tweezers in my list of tools. When quilting if needle hard to pull threw I use the tweezers to grap the needle and pull.

I use disposable rubber gloves as a needle puller, i attach it to a pretty piece of ribbon and because use i am a hand quilter and use a hoop i attach the other end of the ribbon to my hoop so it is always handy when needed.

paoberle 05-14-2015 01:20 PM

I really like the tip to use old towels in pot holders.

kittiebug 05-14-2015 03:28 PM

Thanks great tips.