Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Here I go thinking again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/here-i-go-thinking-again-t194008.html)

seasaw2mch 07-08-2012 02:30 PM

Here I go thinking again!

I was thinking about making a quilt with a vinyl back (like the outdoor vinyl fabric) to use while camping so it could be wiped off after laying on the ground and not have to wash it every time it was used or worry about it being damp and then smelling like mold when you put it away for a while.

Do you think it would work???

riutzelj 07-08-2012 02:47 PM

As long as you didn't plan on quilting it heavily. I think you could get away with a grid quilting pattern that was 3-4 " apart. Decide on a front based upon how closely you could get away with quilting it once you put the vinyl fabric on the back. Fabric Depot in Portland has nice fabric for making raincoats that would work as does the Rain Shed in Corvallis, oregon. Fabric Depot has online, not sure about Rain Shed.

Holice 07-08-2012 02:58 PM

why don't you just put a plastic sheet on the ground first. Seems to me that it will be difficult to wash the quilt when it needs washing which might be after every use. How about spraying the back with a soil resistant spray.

barny 07-08-2012 03:02 PM

If you quilt it won't the thread holes let moisture in? Just thinking.

seasaw2mch 07-08-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5349167)
why don't you just put a plastic sheet on the ground first. Seems to me that it will be difficult to wash the quilt when it needs washing which might be after every use. How about spraying the back with a soil resistant spray.

Well if it were for my use, I would but this will be going to a guy that just doesn't think about that sort of thing and I was trying to figure out a good way to make him one that he wouldn't have to worry so much about. He loves quilts but I'm not sure he knows how to keep it from getting screwed up from the damp air or ground and I sure he would be upset it that happened. But at the same time, I want him to be comfortable using it.

Any ideas that would help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I could just add a piece of the vinyl a bit larger then the quilt with it when I give it to him might be the way to go?

TanyaL 07-08-2012 03:12 PM

I'm sure you will find the answer to your question, but it leads me to a question of my own. I have camped for 40 years and never used a quilt. What do you use yours for? I use sleeping bags but they never are on bare ground. We don't eat picnic style on the ground when we camp, we use camping tables and chairs. Do you eat on your quilt?

hopetoquilt 07-08-2012 06:05 PM

I would throw a large piece of vinyl down first and then the quilt on top of it. I think that is a better option. I made a quilt to throw down on sports fields and used black fabric for the back. It does not show any stains. Might be a good color option for your quilt in case it does come in contact with the grass/land.

Dolphyngyrl 07-08-2012 08:10 PM

what about the laminated cotton as a back, not sure if that would work

JanTx 07-08-2012 08:14 PM

How about buying a flannel-backed plastic table cloth and using that for the back? For a baby shower gift my daughter got a baby quilt that was vinyl backed to use as a ground quilt. That was 5 years ago - before I knew anything about quilting - so I didn't examine it or remember much about it. But ... it's doable.

cbpirate 07-08-2012 08:33 PM

or, putting two flannel backed table cloths together and putting it on the ground with your quilt on top ;of it. i would think that with the flannel, they would not need much if any quilting and would stay cleaner unless it was really wet or dirty, might even clean off with a hose..... just a thought,.