Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Here are the Options (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/here-options-t66905.html)

Lady Shivesa 09-26-2010 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I've really been stuck lately on my french braid table runner. I really wanted to put a border on it, but I just can't wrap my mind around how to do it! I'm afraid to mess it up if I try...

So here are my options and I wanted to see what you guys thought (I'll post pics).

1.) Attempt to put a border on it like I originally planned and probably mess it up.

2.) Bind it as is with the darker colored fabric.

3.) Cut off the points on the ends so it makes a rectangle and then put a border on it.

Your thoughts?

Option #3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102082[/ATTACH]

What I have now...(top and bottom are straight though like in image below)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102083[/ATTACH]

Lady Tapioca 09-26-2010 01:43 PM

I'm not very creative so I would probably bind it as is. And, btw, as it is is beautiful!

grma33 09-26-2010 01:49 PM

beautiful You have to lay your ruler across 1/4 above where they meet and cut off points to get a straight edge.
Gale

lovequilts 09-26-2010 01:49 PM

I would go with option 3

Lady Shivesa 09-26-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by grma33
beautiful You have to lay your ruler across 1/4 above where they meet and cut off points to get a straight edge.
Gale

Yeah, sorry, I did that part already - this is an older photo. What I currently have is the version with the top and bottom points all cut off. :)

magpie 09-26-2010 01:55 PM

Trim edges leaving 1/4 inch for a seam, keeping the points, add your border all the way around.

tjradj 09-26-2010 03:11 PM

Keep the sides pointy, cut the top and bottom edge straight. Then bind as usual, folding the binding with the angle at the corners instead of a 90 degree angle.

jemma 09-26-2010 03:34 PM

put triangles of middle fabric on 4 corners the you have a rectangle dark fabric border will look great

jacqstash 09-26-2010 08:51 PM

Am just finishing one - trim points off (just a few at a time) - then I added triangles at the 4 corners - then trimmed them to make a rectangular quilt - add borders - finish as usual

Clueless Quilter 09-27-2010 07:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As you have trimmmed off the points and want to put a border on it I would proceed as follows:

(I am going to attempt to add pictures along with my instructions but as I have never done this before I am not sure if it will work. Also, I have used difference colors in the border so you can see each step better.

1. Cut two strips of fabric (however wide you want the border to be) a little longer than the long sides of the table runner and then sew them on. Now trim the ends of the border fabric by aligning the ruler along the edge of the fabric on the angled ends of the border. See picture - 1

2. Cut two more border strips. One for one side only of each end being sure to include the border already added in the measure. (I would cut this a couple of inches longer than my measurement.) Sew one on each end opposite each other. Trim on long side by laying ruler along the edge of the first border added. Trim point end, if necessary, by laying ruler along the edge of fabric on the opposite side of the point. See picture - 2

3. Measure the last side on the end including the borders already added, again adding extra for insurance. After you have sewn them on. Trim off excess as necessary.

4. Bind or finish as desired.

I hope this is what you were looking for and than I have made it clear.

Picture 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111030[/ATTACH]

Picture 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111031[/ATTACH]

Picture 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111032[/ATTACH]