Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it heresy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heresy-t295173.html)

klswift 03-02-2018 07:03 AM

Other than when entering a quilt in a show - you make the rules! I often use sheets, but I try to buy a 'lesser' quality sheet (a lower thread count). Top end sheets with very high thread count are pretty but very difficult to quilt. And, with quilts that are going to be heavily used, abused and not carefully washed (mostly the ones going off to colleges or first apartments), I have often used blankets for batting and sheets for backing. Much cheaper and abusable and I am not overly sad if they get lost or ruined.

cactusmomma 03-02-2018 08:08 AM

feline fanatic, thanks. I have always heard no sheets for backing but now that I am retired living on social security (that's a joke) I couldn't figure out how to buy backing material. I squirrelled away enough fabric for tops to last as long as I will (at least I hope I can use it all up) but didn't think about getting a generic fabric that I could use on backs. I never wash my material first so I would need to buy new sheets which would still cost less than material, I think. I am definitely going to check that out.

cactusmomma 03-02-2018 08:09 AM

klswift, thanks. More great information.

SillySusan 03-02-2018 07:43 PM

I make baby quilts for charity, and I use sheets that are in good shape from thrift shops often. The quilts get used heavily and washed lot. They are usually not kept long after the babies outgrow them. No problems ever reported. And, remember, quilts used to be made from well-worn clothing, and they ended up being cherished.
So, go for it and enjoy!!

AnnT 03-03-2018 05:33 AM

I say go for it! I often use sheets when I can't find something I like in fabric as a backing or because I like the sheet design. It looks just as good as anything else and is sometimes cheaper.

meyert 03-03-2018 05:43 AM

I have done it and I am not afraid to do it again.... but that doesn't mean its not heresy as I often break the rules ha ha ha ha

crafty pat 03-03-2018 12:04 PM

My DM only hand quilted and all she ever used was sheets. Her quilts were beautiful and she got them done so fast so she must not have had much trouble quilting them.

loisf 03-03-2018 02:35 PM

This is why I would never use an old, used sheet. I have had several good quality, 100% cotton sheets rip across the top as I pulled them up to make our bed. The fabric was not worn-looking. The sheets were not that old, but the fabric just shredded - across the top on the side my husband sleeps on, not on mine. The answer - he sleeps without a pajama top, and the oil from his skin had weakened the fabric. It looked just fine until tension was put on it. Then it just pulled apart. If I were thinking about using an old sheet, I'd test it's strength carefully before I did. I'm sure many of them are fine - just don't use any of our old ones. LOL

mhollifiel 03-04-2018 06:04 AM

You will be joining the great but silent (up to now!) group known as "Green" quilters! And you'll be saving our beautiful planet in a very resourceful and useful way. According to the Council for Textile Recycling (http://www.weardonaterecycle.org), the average US citizen throws away 70 pounds of clothing and textile waste PER YEAR.

I discovered thrifting when I underwent gastric sleeve surgery and went through clothing sizes really fast. All the clothing I wear now is gorgeous, some great top brands, and cheap! For my quilting, I have discovered that thrift stores have lots to offer. Here are some examples including some I think might surprise you.

Fabric - I cam pretty much tell when something is cotton. If I want to be certain, I do a burn test at home. If it beads up and smells like chemicals, it's a blend or total synthetic. But synthetic fleece makes a fine backing! I prefer all cottons but only because I can find plenty of those. That doesn't mean I haven't used a blend when I found one that worked!

Linens - Treasures abound. Obviously, sheets in all sizes, shower curtains, regular curtains, furniture covers, bed skirts, the list is endless. Head to this section first! Don't forget to expand your search to wool blankets. They make wonderful battings and come in all sizes. Just remember to label these properly for washing when finished. Wool trimmings can be "felted" for those who enjoy wool appliqué. A recent discovery is duvet covers! The label giving fabric content is usually found inside one of the corners on the button opening side. Most I have found are 100% cotton. This is a "twofer" as I can back two big quilts with them. Your hands will learn to find the treasures quickly. Most have labels for verification of fiber content if it matters to you. I like knowing!

Clothing - Men's XL and up cotton shirts! (OK, Large if you just love it!) Bonnie Hunter can "filet" one in 7 minutes! There's usually well over two yards of usable fabric in a big long sleeved man's shirt. Don't forget to take that fabric swatch with you that you have never found a compliment for. Men's solid shirts are a gold mine of colors! Don't waste time with women's clothing, there's much more fabric and choices over in men's. Also, wool clothing to felt for appliqué can be found throughout the clothing sections. Just sweep your hand along the racks as you walk along. You can feel the wool! Don't forget men's cotton and flannel pj bottoms. Most have never been worn. LOL!

Hardware - Clamps to hold rulers down. Also, small hand weights do the same thing. Shower curtain rods for rolling up fabric or flimsies or pinned tops ready for quilting - great for transport and adjustable. Tool boxes.

Kitchen - TRAYS! and BASKETS! Great for organizing what you've cut or pressed units! Glass jars with lids for bobbins and threads. Very decorative and useful.

Office - Desk chair. Yep, my sewing machine chair is being recycled and it's great! Command hooks! Rolling carts for your traveling sewing machine and stuff!

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The list is endless! Have fun!

grandmahoney 03-04-2018 01:24 PM

My mother in law always used sheets for the back of her quilts. She always hand quilted and she made more quilts then I could count. She was 94 years old. Quilted up to just a few days before she went to heaven. So don't be afraid to use them.