Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hexagon ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hexagon-ruler-t263786.html)

minibarn 04-09-2015 06:40 AM

hexagon ruler

I have been following the EPP threads w/interest as I enjoy making the hexagons too, and want to eventually try other shapes. Currently I am using papers that I cut put by hand for my templates, and 2.5" squares of fabric but I want get the Fiskers punch for the papers & a ruler for the fabric w/in the future. My question is has anyone used one of the rulers for hexagons and if so your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jenna

Geri B 04-09-2015 06:59 AM

If you mean a template like F&P have, for example, yes I have used these with success, and I have also used the diamond templates. But, I have also found for my EPP fabric shapes the acrylic templates that PaperPieces.com offer are much better because these allow for a 3/8" seam allowance...may seem like that 1/8" doesn't matter, but it does for me as I glue instead of baste plus the paper takes that minuscule amount of the allowance when folding over and that extra 1/8" compensates well. And the templates are really inexpensive, so I have ordered whichever I have needed for whatever project i am doing. Next will be Lucy Boston patchwork of the crosses....

francie yuhas 04-09-2015 08:38 AM

I just cut out squares of the fabric,and trim them with a pair of scissors as I sew them...no need for fancy template that takes longer to use. I buy the paper cut out forms to sew around...don't need many as I reuse as I stitch. I'm for simplicity...

luvspaper 04-09-2015 08:57 AM

I've started using a punch too after doing my first two EPPs where I cut each piece by hand. And I just cut my fabric the width of the hexie plus a bit (really scientific) in squares/rectangles and then pin on the hexie paper and trim...I do agree with Francei and the fact that 1/4 inch seam is often too small. I eyeball it and go from there. I find larger seams also give more stability to the whole project. You can always trim later if you like.

No need truly for a hexie ruler.

minibarn 04-09-2015 02:15 PM

Thanks for the help ladies!

ManiacQuilter2 04-09-2015 02:18 PM

I have a template for cutting my fabric and Fiskers punch for cutting the paper hexes

tessagin 04-09-2015 03:00 PM

DH got me a hexagon template. I have a hexie template I traced from a book then made extra sizes. Was watching a couple videos on hexies by Sue Daley. First time I saw how the clamshell was done. Was impressed and made couple. Interesting. It's on YouTube.

Onebyone 04-09-2015 04:53 PM

I use the Fiskar's punch and the Go die to cut the hex fabric. I like 1/4" to fold over the paper. I glue baste mine. I love to make hexies.

mom-6 04-09-2015 05:09 PM

I inherited one when grandpa and Margaret went to assisted living. I have only used it once but it worked well.

minibarn 04-10-2015 07:31 AM

I was wondering when do you take the basting out of the hexies? And, for the actual quilt do you batt and back like a regular quilt?

Thanks for all the comments so far.