Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hexie questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hexie-questions-t248741.html)

Geri B 06-19-2014 03:34 PM

Hexie questions

A few yrs ago I did a GFG using freezer paper as pp pattern.....worked fine....am now starting another using my GO die which cuts paper and fabric at same time......I am using old greeting cards as the pp guides.....I also bought a paper punch to punch the hole in center to put pin in...phew! When I did the first GFG I machine basted those hexies thru fab and freezer paper, but this time I though I would try what others are doing....hand basting just the fab in the corners......sort of clumsy the first few times, but getting the hang of it...but I think the dies have narrower seam allowance than when I did my other one where I did my own cutting of fab.......anyway, then I come across a YouTube series made by Sue Daley on hexies, tumblers, stars, apple cores,etc......she does fabulous work, but she uses a glue pen to tack down her edges ...no thread basting..and then sews them using Bottom Line thread and a Milliners needle #11...... Nowhere does she say she washes her creations afterwards.......she does remove papers afterwards...of course on her website she is selling papers, plastic templates and this glue pen...I am tempted to order the pen at least.....

humbird 06-19-2014 04:06 PM

I have watched the Sue Daily video. She does do nice work. I'm not sure, but I would think that you would want to wash the project when finished to remove the glue. But then, I wash all my projects after they are finished. Especially hand worked things, just to remove body oils etc. Also, I tend to have the project go on for quite a long period of time, and I'm sure it's soiled. Even tho I try to "wash up" before working on it! I cut all my own papers so can't comment on the GO, but I would be sure the seam allowance is at least 1/4 inch. The glue pen looked very handy, but guess I'll just stick to thread basting.

I can't believe you machine basted your hexies in the first quilt. That must have taken a fair amount of time to remove the basting stitches! I don't remove the basting!

Feathers-N-Fur 06-19-2014 04:38 PM

If you have the new Hexi Go! die, it only has 1/8" seam allowance. I was excited when the new one came out until I read about the seam allowance. So I stuck with the original Hexi die that only cuts one of each size at a time. I use the middle size for fabric and the small one inch size to cut my cereal boxes. It gives a little more than a 1/4" this way. Have cut three quilts and have almost finished piecing my second one this way.

Onebyone 06-19-2014 04:44 PM

I use the Go die too for hexies but I don't put a hole in paper. I just pin it. Look at this tute:

I have the three hex Go die and like to use the smallest size hex for fabric. I have the hex punch that I use to cut the papers like the one in this tutorial. Fiskars also makes hex punches. I have to have more then 1/4" fold over allowance. If you have the new Go hex die just use it to cut two different size fabric hexies and use the punches to make the papers.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...-tutorial.html

QltrSue 06-20-2014 03:04 AM

I have taken two different classes on EPP and each presented different ideas on how to do it. We were shown how to tack just the corners, which is very popular, but as you said, it seemed clumsy and "slippy" for me! Perhaps it would get more secure with practice. And we were shown the glue pen method, but my question was how hard was that to release the papers when it came time to remove them? I LOVE using Milliners needles size 10 or 11 and have recently started using FINE thread from JoAnns. Not too many neutral colors, but I give my whip stitches a gentle tug after every four or five, and the thread sinks into the fabric and stitches don't show on the front. I just found some John James Gold'nGlide Milliner needles size 11 at the LQS that slip through fabric like hot knife through butter! The eye is very tiny, though. Time for a magnifier! I like the 1" Paper Pieces Hexis, but recently bought the XL punch. Good ideas to use greeting cards for patterns--will have to give that a try. Love to get cards and hate to just throw them out! Good luck with your project. Let us know how you like the pen.

patchy-at-best 06-20-2014 03:17 AM

I know Sue Daly, lovely lady who did the EPP for years before it got 'popular' - she so deserves her success!!!
I glue my hexies, its quicker than stitching. The Sewline glue pens should be available in the US. I used to use them but you go thru the glue refills so fast and they're not cheap. I now use cheap glue pens from the supermarket without issue. When it comes time to remove the papers you just run a pin along under any stubborn bits. No need to wash, it leaves very little residue and most are totally water soluble anyway. Hope this helps a little, cheers, Pami

ManiacQuilter2 06-20-2014 03:34 AM

I am using plastic hexes called Quilt Patis. I tried the glue stick but it didn't hold. I use to baste around the hex fabric, pull it tight and tie a knot but I am now using scotch tape and it is much faster and works great. I am using 1" hex and cutting the fabric using 2.5" strip so I have an edge wider than 1/4". I cut at least 3 layers and the cutting using a template makes cutting fast.

Onebyone 06-20-2014 04:32 AM

I don't think the glue will hold fabric to plastic if you use the Patis. I will have to try the tape method. I have a lot of the 1/4 wide water soluble tape I never use so maybe it will work. I also have a lot of the sticky dots used in scrapbooking (I found a bag full at a yard sale for .50) I never thought to try those.

Geri B 06-20-2014 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur (Post 6765659)
If you have the new Hexi Go! die, it only has 1/8" seam allowance. I was excited when the new one came out until I read about the seam allowance. So I stuck with the original Hexi die that only cuts one of each size at a time. I use the middle size for fabric and the small one inch size to cut my cereal boxes. It gives a little more than a 1/4" this way. Have cut three quilts and have almost finished piecing my second one this way.

See I did not read the fine print on that die...am very disappointed in the design, I think I will write the company....love all the other ones, but now I will definitely read carefully...

I do have the original 3 hexie die...will check it out..

Re: my first GFG that I machine basted......the basting stitch was so fast to do, I chain stitched the whole flower together so those were my hand stitching, go anywhere part...and removing the stitching was as easy as removing the freezer paper...just one pull and out it came....

Geri B 06-20-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by patchy-at-best (Post 6766063)
I know Sue Daly, lovely lady who did the EPP for years before it got 'popular' - she so deserves her success!!!
I glue my hexies, its quicker than stitching. The Sewline glue pens should be available in the US. I used to use them but you go thru the glue refills so fast and they're not cheap. I now use cheap glue pens from the supermarket without issue. When it comes time to remove the papers you just run a pin along under any stubborn bits. No need to wash, it leaves very little residue and most are totally water soluble anyway. Hope this helps a little, cheers, Pami

I don't think I have ever seen glue pens at stores here, but I am going to recheck that.....you r right the pen is not cheap and I wondered how long it lasted.......good to know "how to" remove paper/glue too! From her videos she seems like a delightful person...love the accent and also her "knicker knot" really works...I tried it!