Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hexies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hexies-t245242.html)

humbird 04-16-2014 05:19 AM

I hand quilt auntpiggylpn. I am using embroidery floss and quilting a sort of star design in the center of each hexie. I don't know how to post a photo here, but if you are interested, pm me and I'll send you a photo of the quilting.

earthwalker 04-16-2014 05:40 AM

Trust me ....EPP hexagons are entirely addictive. There are a few of us afflicted on this board:). I have been hand piecing an EPP Grandmother's Flower Garden (queen size) for years.

Chaney Ranch 04-16-2014 09:09 AM

For those of you who are working with the hexies - do you use paper pieces for the base or card stock in Hexie punched shapes? I'm probably not making myself clear, but I've read so many different methods of achieving the end result: Bonnie Hunter and others use a paper punch similar to those used by scrap bookers, some duplicate Hexie grids onto regular copy paper, some have plastic Hexie discs which pop out of the completed Hexie for reuse, and Accuquilt now has two different dies for hexies - one of which cuts both the paper pattern and the slightly larger fabric shape. I realize that in the end it's the same results, but I'm interested in what Y'ALL use. Thanks

wolph33 04-16-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6677653)
Me!!! I started this hand pieced scrappy Hexie quilt back in October! We were moving out of state and had to pack up my sewing room. It is made out of 1" hexies and there are no duplicates in it. I'm about 1/4 way done. We have since moved and I haven't done any quilting on the sewing machine yet!!!

great looking hexies

joysewer 04-16-2014 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch (Post 6678205)
For those of you who are working with the hexies - do you use paper pieces for the base or card stock in Hexie punched shapes? I'm probably not making myself clear, but I've read so many different methods of achieving the end result: Bonnie Hunter and others use a paper punch similar to those used by scrap bookers, some duplicate Hexie grids onto regular copy paper, some have plastic Hexie discs which pop out of the completed Hexie for reuse, and Accuquilt now has two different dies for hexies - one of which cuts both the paper pattern and the slightly larger fabric shape. I realize that in the end it's the same results, but I'm interested in what Y'ALL use. Thanks

I buy the die cut paper pieces at www.paperpieces.com

humbird 04-16-2014 10:28 AM

I print out the hexies on scrap paper and cut them out. Yes, there are several different methods, and I'm sure they are all just fine. I just learned to do it the scrap paper way, and (as the saying goes) it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks! (and I'm cheap!) Try a few ways and see what works for you.

IrishgalfromNJ 04-16-2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by joysewer (Post 6677814)
I love Hexies. I have been working on this quilt since 2007. It is the quilt I take onlong on trips so I have some hand work. Now I want to get it finished but have a bunch of other things to do first.

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

auntpiggylpn 04-16-2014 11:07 AM

i started out buying heat resistant template plastic and cutting them out. I decided that the template plastic was too expensive for what I wanted to use it for and also I can't cut a DRAWN line straight so my hexagon shapes were wonky. I went to Joann's with a coupon in hand and got the XL Fiskars hexagon paper punch. It makes a 1" Hexie. Don't remember what the punch cost with a 40% off coupon but I know it had to be less than $8. I punch them out of some card stock I had left over from paper crafting days. Not the really rigid card stock but probably considered a "value" weight of card stock. I get 1-2 uses out of them and then I just punch more. So much quicker than printing out on paper and hand cutting them. Worth the investment for me!

I use 2 1/2" fabric squares; works perfect. Because I didn't have a lot of 2 1/2" squares cut before I packed up my sewing room, I bought about a dozen of the Moda mini charm packs to get me started.

QuiltnNan 04-16-2014 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6678347)
i started out buying heat resistant template plastic and cutting them out. I decided that the template plastic was too expensive for what I wanted to use it for and also I can't cut a DRAWN line straight so my hexagon shapes were wonky. I went to Joann's with a coupon in hand and got the XL Fiskars hexagon paper punch. It makes a 1" Hexie. Don't remember what the punch cost with a 40% off coupon but I know it had to be less than $8. I punch them out of some card stock I had left over from paper crafting days. Not the really rigid card stock but probably considered a "value" weight of card stock. I get 1-2 uses out of them and then I just punch more. So much quicker than printing out on paper and hand cutting them. Worth the investment for me!

I use 2 1/2" fabric squares; works perfect. Because I didn't have a lot of 2 1/2" squares cut before I packed up my sewing room, I bought about a dozen of the Moda mini charm packs to get me started.

this cutter sounds like a great idea.

auntpiggylpn 04-16-2014 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6678347)

This is the paper punch I bought.