Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hey Scrappy Quilters... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hey-scrappy-quilters-t177098.html)

MOBRIDGE MOM 01-26-2012 09:27 PM

Hey Scrappy Quilters...

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of making a postage stamp scrappy quilt and believe me this is a totally new thing for me because I'm almost to anal to just grab any square of any color and add it to another square of any color. I have posted a picture of the pattern that I'm going to use. I'm planning on the diamonds being any and all color squares but what would you do for the white around the diamond. Would you use just white and white on white color squares and maybe cream colored? If you had a print that was predominately white maybe has some flowers or something on it would you use them in the borders? I know everyone says it is your quilt do it the way you want to but I need a little feedback. Also what kind of borders would you put on this? Right now it is 99 x 105. Would a simple 2" white border on the outside be enough or would it need more?

Peckish 01-26-2012 10:42 PM

I probably wouldn't do borders. However, I'd wait until the top was done before making that final decision.

The white parts depend on what kinds of colors I'm using. If my scraps were brights, I'd go with white or WOW prints. If my scraps were darker, more in the style of civil war repros, I'd use naturals or tans to soften it.

Are you using scraps or yardage? I take it the diamonds are made up of your "stamps"? That will be so neat!

Peckish 01-26-2012 11:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Your design reminded me of an antique quilt I saw at a show a year or so ago - hope it gives you inspiration!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306514[/ATTACH]

deedum 01-27-2012 04:33 AM

You are very ambitious! Hats off to you, this is to tackle. Now that you said this, maybe I should be saving my small pieces for this...hmmmm

raedar63 01-27-2012 04:39 AM

What is that background? Are you fusing to that?

ptquilts 01-27-2012 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with what Peckish said - on a tiny piece "masterpiece" the borders will just distract IMHO.

It adds a lot to a Postage Stamp quilt to add "paths" going through it - here is one we made. The "paths" were navy-white-navy.

GingerK 01-27-2012 05:31 AM

All I can add is WOW!!! The antique one is breath-taking. Thanks for the photos Peckish. And ptquilts, I love the stripe in yours. They give my eyes a chance to rest. Good luck with your quilt Mobridge Mom.

raedar63 01-27-2012 05:36 AM

I love the paths .So how do you go about getting them where they need to be? I am useless without a pattern ofr instructions :(

TanyaL 01-27-2012 05:39 AM

I would definitely go with black and not white.

thimblebug6000 01-27-2012 08:19 AM

If you are planning to use the diamond pattern in your posting, how will you fit squares into the diamond shape, or will you just put them on point?