Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hi! I'm from Louisiana (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hi-im-louisiana-t58153.html)

Annaleehunter 08-07-2010 07:57 PM

Hi! I live in a town close to Shreveport. If you are close to Shreveport, go see the owner of Shreveport Sewing Center. He gives great advice and sells new and used machines. He goes through every used machine and reconditions it. I was able to get a much nicer machine this way. He also stands behind what he sells. Welcome!

diane Sneed 08-07-2010 08:21 PM

Welcome to the coolest board!

virginialbrown 08-07-2010 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilterwannabe
Looking for suggestions on a first sewing machine to learn machine quilting on. I am an avid top maker with just a straight stitch old machine. My budget is limited . Any suggestions? I have really enjoyed this site and have gotten great ideas from ya'll already!!

Whatever you do get one that you can drop the feed dogs on. That is the little teeth that forward your material. You want to have control moving the fabric so you usually drop them to be in control yourself. Some times people trade in perfectly good machines for a trade in so you might go to a dealer ship and see if you can get one with a service contract. It costs nearly $200. to get your machine cleaned and calibrated. I personally have a Pfaff quilt expression 2046. Got it after I retired. Would never be without a service contract. I also learned over time that each machine is made for a different purpose. I do not mend jeans on this machine as it can mess it up and need to be recalibrated.

AlleyCat 08-07-2010 09:03 PM

hi and welcome from Pineville, Louisiana.

zz-pd 08-08-2010 01:01 AM

Welcome from Oregon.

Linda58 08-08-2010 04:01 AM

Hi and welcome from Texas, Minnesota and Florida.

GailG 08-08-2010 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilterwannabe
Looking for suggestions on a first sewing machine to learn machine quilting on. I am an avid top maker with just a straight stitch old machine. My budget is limited . Any suggestions? I have really enjoyed this site and have gotten great ideas from ya'll already!!

Welcome from another Louisianian. I'm in Loreauville, Where are you?

Honey you have all that you need to start quilting. Of course all of the more "souped up" machines are nice to have and you can do much more with them, but you can get pretty creative with a straight stitcher. What do you think those much-talked-about featherweights are. Right, Gang. Tell her all she can do with that straight stitcher.

fratcat 08-08-2010 07:19 AM

thanks for the information. I actually am in Scott, right outside Lafayette.

PBCHRETIEN 08-08-2010 12:19 PM

HI and welcome from Opelousas,La.

M.I.Late 08-08-2010 12:21 PM

O.K. I give up her Location says: "In Hiding"
How did ya all know she lives in Louisiana. I was reading this topic and realized that all these people from Louisiana were replying - told him wow where did all these Louisiana people come from... How did you know she was from here?