Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hi-im-stephanie-cruisingstef-i-need-your-help-t75037.html)

CruisingStef 11-08-2010 04:33 AM

I have decided to donate my quilts to the nursing home where DH is staying. I plan on making lap quilts but I'm stuck in a rut.
How do I know what size to make? Just guess? Make one and use DH as my model as to the size I need for the quilt? And how much batting do I need to use? Some of the residents are cold ALL the time/ some are HOT all the time. What type of batting do I use? help

donnajean 11-08-2010 04:35 AM

Hi Stephanie & welcome from southeast PA! I'm sure the nursing home will appreciate any size. Just make sure quilt is completely washable.

watterstide 11-08-2010 04:45 AM

i would ask someone here who is in a wheel chair as to the size..it would be nice to cover up while sitting. i have also heard that cutting off the bottom corners, or rounding them out, would help to keep them for getting caught in the wheels.
but i am sure someone here knows first hand..
what a wonderful thing to do!

this info was found at :
http://bcquilter.wordpress.com/quilt...n-quilt-sizes/

WHEELCHAIR LAP QUILT – 36″ x 36″ to 38″ x 47″ or (91cm x 91cm to 97cm x 119cm )– adding ties is sometimes a good idea, so they don’t slip off.

LAP – between 52″ – 68″ or 132cm x 173cm wide and the length can be from about 52″ – 78″ or 132cm x 198cm. Although a lap quilt can be any size. A quilt that a child will want to bring along could be as small as 36″x36″ or 91cm x 91cm. A lap quilt that is 42″x 60″ 107cm x 152cm is great for cuddling up on the couch with.

Wine Woman 11-08-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I have decided to donate my quilts to the nursing home where DH is staying. I plan on making lap quilts but I'm stuck in a rut.
How do I know what size to make? Just guess? Make one and use DH as my model as to the size I need for the quilt? And how much batting do I need to use? Some of the residents are cold ALL the time/ some are HOT all the time. What type of batting do I use? help

CruisingStef-that is very thoughtful of you. I always make my lap quilts a little longer than most specially for the men. Watch out that they are not too long specially for those in wheel chairs. My two new patterns were 60" x 72" and 62" x 82".

I like to use warm and natural. It's 100% cotton. Because it's cotton it breathes and is warm. It also is soft enough that when quilted it wraps very nicely. It's not stiff!

Sometimes older ones don't like heavy things. I found fleece to be warm and light and you wouldn't have to use batting. It's snuggly warm too! Thank you for thinking of those in the home.

MamaBear61 11-08-2010 05:11 AM

Hello and welcome from Ontario.

Jabear617 11-08-2010 06:14 AM

It is so sweet of you to think of others needing a loving quilt. Alot of love goes into a quilt and maybe someone will feel your love through one of the quilts you made. Your a very sweet person :)

FortMyers 11-08-2010 06:15 AM

Hello from sunny SW Florida!!!

dkabasketlady 11-08-2010 07:28 AM

I make charity lap robes all the time. I have two finished sizes that seem to work fine so far, 30" x 36" and 36" x 42". These don't get caught in the wheels and seem to cover them just right. I use whatever batting I have on hand, some don't have batting if I use flannel for a backing. Thank you for doing this charity work that the residents will appreciate. From one quilter living in Lakeland to another!!!

CarrieAnne 11-08-2010 07:34 AM

What a great project. I am sure the residents will love them!

Janet L52 11-08-2010 08:00 AM

Hello Stephanie and welcome from northern Californiia! I am so happy to get the information about making lap quilts etc. for nursing homes as that is what I plan to do.