Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hind sight is so wonderful (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hind-sight-so-wonderful-t227235.html)

Dakota Rose 08-04-2013 07:19 AM

Hind sight is so wonderful

I decided to organize my fabric. I went out and bought the comic book boards and began folding. Then I saw an ad on Craig's List for bookcases -- wooden and 7' tall. I got one that fit my space. My son sanded and painted it with white paint (makes the fabric pop). I'm continuing to fold fabric while bookcase is being prepared. Finally it is ready to move into the sewing room. Looks great, fits perfectly and I am ready to put my folded fabric on the shelves. I am a happy camper. Did I mention that the bookcase had come from a library and the shelves were stationary. Are you laughing at me yet? You guessed it -- the cardboard was to high to stand up in the shelves! Now I have a lot of folded fabric that must lay flat and I have almost 200 comic book boards that I can't use (I am refolding without the boards so they fit on the shelves like bolts and can be seen at a glance). What is the old saying "measure twice, cut once." Guess that goes for folding fabric as well!! Anyone want comic book boards -- they work great if you have the right space between shelves. Pm me if you do.

barny 08-04-2013 07:21 AM

I'd keep them and go hunt another bookcase at a thrift store that fit.

jrhboxers 08-04-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 6214674)
I'd keep them and go hunt another bookcase at a thrift store that fit.

Either that ^^^ or cut the comic books boards down to size. Hope you get done soon.
I know in my brain that organizing really saves time in the long run. But it can seem to take FOREVER to get finished.

mighty 08-04-2013 07:25 AM

I agree I would find another bookcase or may trim the boards down to fit.

jcrow 08-04-2013 07:33 AM

Lots of people lay their fabric on comic boards down instead of standing them up. You can get more fabric on the shelves that way.

tessagin 08-04-2013 07:34 AM

You can still use them. I have a couple shelves where they can't stand upright but I can certainly put them on the sides as I have done. There's a tutorial that show's how to fold them so you can still see the print of the material. I have also used some of the boards for templates. it will cost more to send those boards out than what you paid for them. Hang onto them for future use. Or you can also follow "barny's" idea.

Tartan 08-04-2013 08:15 AM

Put one of the board without fabric on the bottom of the pile next to the shelf and stack the wrapped boards laying down, with the folded edges out so you can see them. It might not be exactly how you envisioned it but still workable.

rebeljane 08-04-2013 08:30 AM

Cut them to fit

jeanharville 08-05-2013 06:46 AM

I can certainly relate to hind sight, lol. Hope you find a good solution. It sounds like you've spent a lot of time and effort, so don't give up.