Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hint for prewashing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hint-prewashing-fabric-t188800.html)

maxnme01 05-12-2012 01:03 PM

Hint for prewashing fabric

I was so thrilled to find this "easy" solution to keeping your large pieces of fabric from becoming a tangled mess in the washer and dryer. I can't take credit for it as I saw it on a Kaye Woods video on YouTube. Just an FYI!

Open your fabric so that it is flat (selvedge on right and left with fold line down the center).

Accordion pleate the fabric at about 12-18" widths. When all is pleated pin each selvedge end with safety pins to secure. Use as many pins as you feel comfortable with. I suggest also pinning the folds about every 12 inches.

Wash and dry as you usually do! I hope this tip is helpful.

Keep smiling-it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.

sweet 05-12-2012 01:11 PM

What a great tip, Thanks! :)

ghostrider 05-12-2012 02:36 PM

I wash 4 to 5 yard cuts, several at a time and they never, ever wind up in a tangled mess...not even wrinkled. I just don't get it. What am I doing wrong??? :eek: I would think more than twice about washing and drying fabric that was all full of saftey pins, no matter what Kaye Woods says. That's a really easy way to get all kinds of holes all over your brand new yardage.

bearisgray 05-12-2012 02:51 PM

The only fabrics I pin before washing and drying are skinny strips - 1/3 yard or less - to keep them from tangling with each other.
I also wash long lengths - I overcast the raw edges first - and usually they behave well.

I do unfold the fabrics before putting them in the washer to minimize fading on the fold line - and wash on a short, gentle cycle.
If I take the fabrics out of the dryer as soon as they are dry - my dryer has a setting for how 'done/dry' I want the items - and fold them - usually they are smooth enough to fold and store until ready to cut.

When I take the long lengths out of the dryer, I fan fold them at 24 inch 'intervals' and then fold that so it's 12 inches wide and then fold it selvage to selvage.

I do iron/press the fabrics right before cutting to get rid of the fold lines.

jcrow 05-12-2012 03:07 PM

I am so glad I'm one of the ones that don't prewash. I have never had a problem with bleeding or anything else. I like the puckered look, and how the fabric feels when it's new so no prewashing for me.

ChaiQuilter 05-12-2012 07:19 PM

It helps to wash the fabric in a mesh bag.

sylviak 05-12-2012 07:45 PM

I bought some pinking shears and trim the raw edges before washing. Keeps away all those stringy, string, strings!

BellaBoo 05-12-2012 08:45 PM

I bought a new top loader washer that has a handwashing cycle. It's fantastic for washing fabric, no tangles or thread mess. I can wash fat quarters with no problem. No agitation just a gentle swish.