Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hoarding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hoarding-t261903.html)

Genden 02-27-2015 04:34 PM

Hoarding

When does the accumulation of fabric stash and quilting equipment and supplies cross the line to the "H" word? Does the quilter view the accumulation differently than the husband? Perhaps these are loaded questions, but I am evaluating my stash, hopefully with a clear head. My husband says, my, you have a lot of fabric as he rolls his eyes. My rule has always been that I don't buy a piece of fabric or a tool unless I have a purpose for it. I don't buy a piece of fabric just because I love it and hope to find a project for it later. I do have a sizeable stack now of fat quarters and half yards I have purchased for piecing and applique projects that just didn't work out along with the project leftovers. I tend to buy a little more than I will need in case I make a mistake. I have a real fear of running out of fabric mid project. I also have about four pieces of more yardage that I thought would make good backing fabric, but the match hasn't been just right yet. When is it time to rehome some of this stack?

cjsews 02-27-2015 04:46 PM

It does not sound like you have a problem yet. When you have to use several rooms in the house to store your stash, then you have a problem. When my husband says anything, I remind him that he has a double wide garage that has never seen a car in it.:D

sewNso 02-27-2015 04:55 PM

I have 3 metal shelving units loaded with fabric , all wound on 12 x 8" boards. and l unit that has only FQ's on it. i don't consider myself a hoarder, but i do have enough fabric, so try to sew from my stash. and yes, i do still purchase material. usually about 6 yards a month. i just realized, that my stash is not decreasing, but slowly increasing. so maybe i will quit buying material all together.

MadQuilter 02-27-2015 05:09 PM

Come join us over in the Fabric Moratorium thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...259073-30.html
There are a few of us who came to the realization that we needed to stop the madness in our sewing rooms.

cathyvv 02-27-2015 05:27 PM

Poor Darling! You don't have nearly enough fabric to get you through a fabric emergency!

I have way more fabric than you and have no problem adding to the stash. Maybe I should, but I don't. MY DH can't say too much about my stash because I have watched, sometimes not patiently, him fill up our home with his hobby stuff to the point where I actually moved to another state to make him understand that there was no longer room in our home for me...

Lucky for me, he soon followed. I think he made the right decision and so does he, so it all worked out.

Our new (8 years old) home has 5 garages and a bonus room. Half of his collection(s) are here and the other half is in the old house. I wasn't sewing when we bought this house, had no idea how much I would enjoy quilting and how much of the enjoyment comes from looking at fabric and buying it, so it now seems too small for both of our hobby addictions.

I am not buying as much fabric now since I have truly run out of places to put it. I don't save scraps because I don't use them. The are given away to be added to someone elses stash.

Tartan 02-27-2015 05:35 PM

When my fabric exceeds my husband's collection of tools, I'll start to worry.

QuiltnNan 02-27-2015 05:39 PM

if my fabric stash extends beyond one large closet, i may be concerned. so far, i'm good

Anniedeb 02-27-2015 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7108269)
It does not sound like you have a problem yet. When you have to use several rooms in the house to store your stash, then you have a problem. When my husband says anything, I remind him that he has a double wide garage that has never seen a car in it.:D

Love this!!! He must know my DH!!! We've been married almost 40 years, and on our second house, and we have NEVER parked a car in our garage!! Too many lawn movers, snow blowers, power tools, work-shop tables, lumber, generators, power washer, air compressors, etc, etc, etc!!!

rhilkey 02-27-2015 06:34 PM

If anyone decides they have too much fabric I am sure there are plenty of us on more limited budgets that would be glad to take some off your hands!

pocoellie 02-27-2015 06:37 PM

I'm not sure that you have a problem yet, and you may never have one, and I'm sure that if a lot of the members posted pics of their fabrics, you would also agree that you don't have a problem. LOL Although I'll never live long enough to use up all of my fabrics, and I REALLY don't have any room for more, if I find something I HAVE to have, by golly, I'll get it. LOL