Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hobbs Heirloom Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hobbs-heirloom-batting-t271510.html)

FluffyPuppy 10-26-2015 09:10 AM

Hobbs Heirloom Batting

I have used Warm and Natural, Warm and White, and Quilter's Dream batting. I am looking for something slightly thicker. What is the loft of Hobbs Heirloom 80 20?

Also, how is the texture of it in the quilt and how does it wash up?

I thought about wool batting, but it can be expensive. Thank you in advance!

sewingitalltogether 10-26-2015 09:28 AM

The Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 is thinner than the warm and natural. For machine quilting, I would choose the W&N. The last time I bought wool batting it was only a couple of dollars more. For hand quilting, I would like the wool.

FluffyPuppy 10-26-2015 10:14 AM

Thank you!

I did find some Quilter's Dream wool batting for a good price and I think I will try that.

PaperPrincess 10-26-2015 10:28 AM

The warm company has come out with a 100% cotton batting "Warm & Plush". It's about 50% thicker than W&N, but has no scrim so it needs to be quilted a max of 4" apart. I have used it and really like it a lot. Seems to have about the same shrinkage as the other Warm products.

ManiacQuilter2 10-26-2015 10:32 AM

W&N is more denser than Hobbs 80/20. Hobbs is more fluffy so that you quilting will show up more. I have not tried their wool batting yet but I have used this batting since it was first available. I still find small twigs in the W&N batting.

Prism99 10-26-2015 12:29 PM

I actually prefer Hobbs 80/20 to Warm & Natural. The 80/20 works well for either machine quilting or hand quilting and has more loft than W&N. It has a nice, soft feel to it and dries faster than all-cotton. It is also lighter in weight than W*N with a softer initial drape (no need to wash it several times to soften it up).

nativetexan 10-26-2015 03:53 PM

thin,i love hobbs heirloom 80/20 but it does give more of a flat look.

ukdame 10-26-2015 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7356783)
I actually prefer Hobbs 80/20 to Warm & Natural. The 80/20 works well for either machine quilting or hand quilting and has more loft than W&N. It has a nice, soft feel to it and dries faster than all-cotton. It is also lighter in weight than W*N with a softer initial drape (no need to wash it several times to soften it up).

I prefer it too. Just a nice soft and not too bulky for my home machine. Have used S&N too if I run out. I use a Pellon for for runners ,as a flatter lay look.

BettyGee 10-27-2015 04:16 AM

I picked up some wool batting on sale last year from Connecting Threads and I love it. A tad more expensive, but worth every cent.

joe'smom 10-27-2015 06:45 AM

I also love the wool batting. I'm basting a quilt now with the Hobbs Tuscany cotton/wool blend. It feels just wonderful, so I'm interested to see how it compares to the pure wool. I'm thinking it might be my new favorite.