Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hobbs Polydown batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hobbs-polydown-batting-t270752.html)

jillmc 10-05-2015 05:13 PM

Hobbs Polydown batting?

I am interested in this batting...for those of you who have used it-would love to hear your pros and cons!
I make a lot of lap/throw quilts and baby quilts....will this batting work well for these?
Thank you!

Genden 10-05-2015 05:50 PM

Everyone has a different point of view. Because polyester doesn't breathe and absorb moisture, I won't use it for a baby quilt. I like 80% cotton and 20% poly for a baby quilt. Silk and wool work well too. Others will have different opinions.

soccertxi 10-05-2015 06:03 PM

I have used this a couple times. I liked the loft and the weight. The price was good and I had no problems with stitch quality. I will use this again.

Shelbie 10-05-2015 06:13 PM

Our quilt guild uses Hobbs Polydown all the time for our Community Quilts including those for babies. It is easy to quilt and washes and wears well. Our hand and machine quilters both love it and it has enough loft to really show off the quilting without being too "poufy". The batting is very uniform, no thick or thin places, 108" wide and 30 yards on the roll for $142.50 including tax (Canadian wholesale price). I use it for all of my kid and college student quilts. It even stands up to the nursing home washers! Can you tell yet that I like this batting?

gotta-sew 10-05-2015 06:35 PM

Ditto to Shelbie's remarks. If you check out thelongarmstore.com. $92.50 a roll.

Annaquilts 10-05-2015 07:17 PM

Yes it is great but a little stiff for preemie quilts 24 inches and smaller. It works great for 35-40 inches square and bigger. It shows of quilting very nice and the children and parents like the feel of it. I just bought Soft N Crafty Toasty Cotton Batting for the smaller preemie quilts 24 inches square and smaller. I prefer the quilts to have a little drape. The
Soft N Crafty Toasty Cotton Batting does not show the quilting off as nicely as the Hobbs poly batting.

ckcowl 10-06-2015 02:17 AM

Nice to work with, holds up very well for ( utility quilts- those that are used and laundered A Lot) unlike cotton that seems to pull apart, not hold up. This batting is a good choice for quilts that are dragged around-- used by kids. I use it for the baby quilts that often are on the floor with baby playing/ laying on them. My granddaughter's picnic/ beach quilts have it. It's my go- to for kids quilts

ManiacQuilter2 10-06-2015 04:38 AM

I prefer using their 80/20 cotton batting. Poly just has the tendency to want to shift on me when quilting. Just like the flatness of batting and it does have a bit more of a puff than W&N.

jillmc 10-06-2015 04:57 AM

Thank you for the feedback! I have just sent an email to Hobbs to inquire if this product can be used with 505 basting spray....my last attempt with the new batting from the Warm company was a disaster! :)

feline fanatic 10-06-2015 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7337313)
I prefer using their 80/20 cotton batting. Poly just has the tendency to want to shift on me when quilting. Just like the flatness of batting and it does have a bit more of a puff than W&N.

Excellent point about the shifting maniac. It does like to slip around a bit. I love it on the LA and I use it often, especially in a double batted quilts to give that definition. However on a rack set up the "shiftiness" of it is not an issue, but unless it is very WELL basted it can be a bugger to work with on a DSM.

JillMC you could probably use it by basting with the Elmers Washable school glue. Only I wouldn't try heat setting the glue with an iron. The heat of the iron may harm the batting (just guessing here. I have never tried ironing a completed quilt with polydown)