Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Homemade Best Press (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/homemade-best-press-t246217.html)

judy363905 05-05-2014 07:35 AM

I was just amazed at the response to the original post. Thank you all who responsed to the posting. I of course should have specified "essential oil" I mistakenly thought it was a given, I purchase this at the Yankee Candle Shop.

It always good to get many points of view. Permanent marker on the bottle being one I will be using. :)

Happy quilting

Judy I. Phx, AZ

juliea9967 05-05-2014 07:49 AM

Best Press doesn't flake. That is why I use it. I love it.

JuanitaBean 05-05-2014 10:15 AM

Thanks for posting about this. I needed this recipe.

My time 05-05-2014 09:20 PM

Well I've simplified it. 1 to 1 to 1. Meaning 1 cup water 1 oz vodka 1 drop lavender. Just in case the writing wears off the bottle. This works well as a nice best press doesn't it!

suzanprincess 05-05-2014 11:19 PM

From the information above I've gleaned that I could make a good spray starch by combining 25-50% liquid starch, e.g. Sta-Flo, with distilled water, a drop of liquid detergent to act as a surfactant to aid penetration into the fabric, and a couple drops of essential oil mixed with 2 oz. of cheapest vodka or Everclear only if fragrance is desired in the mixture (which in my case it is not, so I'll save the vodka for the OJ). I'll be trying this very soon on the cheap muslin I just bought.

Peckish 05-06-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess (Post 6705720)
From the information above I've gleaned that I could make a good spray starch by combining 25-50% liquid starch, e.g. Sta-Flo, with distilled water, a drop of liquid detergent to act as a surfactant to aid penetration into the fabric, and a couple drops of essential oil mixed with 2 oz. of cheapest vodka or Everclear only if fragrance is desired in the mixture (which in my case it is not, so I'll save the vodka for the OJ). I'll be trying this very soon on the cheap muslin I just bought.

Awaiting your report on how it worked for you. And pass that pitcher of screwdrivers around, willya? :D

jerilee 05-08-2014 04:43 PM

I mixed the distilled water with the lavender oil and drank the vodka it works!!

I
t

w
o
r
k
s

alegnab 03-23-2020 08:16 AM

Vodka for clothing

Originally Posted by Mimiqwerty (Post 6704856)
...Since many period costumes can't be washed or even dry cleaned, the wardrobe workers spray straight vodka on them for spot cleaning and deodorizing. Sponged on carefully...

Thank you so much for that info. I have a suit jacket that got streaks of some sauce on it, but I didn't notice it until months later when I took it out to wear again. I didn't take it for dry cleaning because I figured it was too late to get the stains out. But I didn't want to throw it away, so I left it in my closet, hoping I’d discover some way to get it out. Before going on vacation at the end of February, I wiped those streaks with vodka, leaving the jacket damp and unsure of whether the stains were actually gone. I just checked the jacket, and there's no trace of stain. The jacket had been hanging in my closet for probably at least a year and a half with those stains on it.