Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Homespun Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/homespun-fabrics-t126602.html)

JUNEC 05-30-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
homespuns are a looser weave than the cottons you are used to using- they are wonderful to work with and pair very nicely with flannels...it is necessary to pre-wash them because they will shrink (alot) even more than flannels-because of the looser weave.
they make wonderful masculine looking quilts

Because they are "loose weave" - by washing, do you mean hand washing?

JUNEC 05-30-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I love using homespun in Log Cabin quilts. Wash and dry before you use it. I hardly ever say this, but it is mandatory. I'll post a picture below.

Wow - what an awesome quilt. How did you quilt it? SID?

ScrappyAZ 05-30-2011 06:16 AM

I have never used homespuns for a quilt, but I have used them for wall hangings. I love the rustic look of homespuns.

Lori S 05-30-2011 06:25 AM

I do recommend prewashing/drying as the shrinkage can be significantly more than regular quilting fabrics. Just a note .. because of the loose weave its really a good idea to zig/zag the raw edge before prewashing... or the raveling in the wash can be ..... alot!

JennC 09-30-2018 06:02 AM

Homespun second wash

I know this is an old thread but I have a question. I just made a quilt out of homespun fabric for my son. I Did prewash, dry and starch prior to making the quilt. Usually after I make a quilt I like to wash it and put downy in it to make it smell awesome.

Will this homespun quilt continue to shrink when I wash it a second time? It shrunk quite a bit during the prewash.. Just wondering what happens on the second wash.

I double stitched the binding raw edges with seams about 1/8" together and also the quilt edge prior to attaching the binding. Then I hand stitched the binding on. For the ravel factor.

Iceblossom 09-30-2018 07:33 AM

I've used homespun multiple times with no problems. I'm often/usually, however, stitching it to a regularly woven cotton.

One of my projects has been in use and being washed for about 5 years, still looks good. (Is at my son/DiL's so I get to see it.)

As in the other advice, it does tend to be looser woven with thicker threads, but once washed and dried (on hot) I let them mix and match with my other scraps.

JennC 09-30-2018 08:11 AM

ty so much Iceblossom. I had just finished making a large sample square to wash when I thought I better check this reply..

AnnieF 09-30-2018 02:03 PM

I used homespun on a grass quilt for my first grandson 18 years ago. I wanted it to be tossed on the ground for him to crawl on so I had homespun on both sides of a rag quilt which I double batted. It has been used a lot, washed a lot and is still in use when my daughter- in -law watches the kids games.

bakermom 09-30-2018 02:15 PM

I used it for a rag quilt-looks great but my DIL "thinks of me kindly" every time she washed it. It is still shedding!

joyce888 10-01-2018 11:56 AM

Personally I would NOT use it with small size piecing. I use a smaller stitch and good quality thread. I think its a fabric that starching before cutting is a big plus. I've used it in 6" HST blocks and pressing seams to one side is best.