Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Homespuns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/homespuns-t296964.html)

illinois 05-16-2018 04:31 AM

Homespuns?

There recently was a beautiful quilt done in browns and earth tones using the disappearing 4 patch design with a piano key border. Loved it! I have a supply of homespun fabrics that would look good in that but I question using homespun in a quilt because it is loosely woven. Does anyone have experience or comments?

Barb in Louisiana 05-16-2018 07:29 AM

I haven't made anything with home spuns but I have sewed almost all my life. When I am quilting and I accidentally choose a loosely woven fabric, I either cut extra for the seam (think 3/8" seam) or I sew every seam with a full quarter inch and then do a wavy second seam from 1/8 to the 1/4 inch sewing line. I've most often done the second way because I didn't realize I was going to have a problem until I started sewing and the material started raveling. If you are thinking about doing the extra size seam, I would make a test D4P with larger squares than you normally would and see if it works out. Or you could take colored paper and do the same thing without wasting any fabric.

I am looking forward to seeing your project.

Edited to add: We used to use pinking shears to help with the raveling, but I find that pinked edge so confusing when trying to decide where I am supposed to be sewing. "grin"

bj 05-16-2018 11:16 AM

I’ve made a couple of rag quilts with homespun fabric. It makes great rag quilts. I’ve never used it in a pieced quilt though. I think the precautions mentioned before of larger seams or double stitching might solve issues with raveling. IDK. Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out ;0)

bearisgray 05-16-2018 11:48 AM

I have some homespun in two quilts I made. It has held up as well or better than the "regular" quilting fabrics in them.

Daffy Daphne 05-16-2018 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I made this quilt, which is all homespun fabrics except for the solid red, white and black in the sashing and pieced strips, I found that starch was an even better friend than I had realized before. Actually, I used Magic Sizing, but it works the same as starch. I didn't increase the seam allowances but did use a smaller stitch than usual.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594532[/ATTACH]

Daffy

Newby0709 05-17-2018 06:53 AM

Homespuns

Can you direct me to a pattern for homespun rag quilts? I had one saved on my computer...I lost the pattern when my computer died.

Originally Posted by bj (Post 8059197)
I’ve made a couple of rag quilts with homespun fabric. It makes great rag quilts. I’ve never used it in a pieced quilt though. I think the precautions mentioned before of larger seams or double stitching might solve issues with raveling. IDK. Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out ;0)

Barb in Louisiana 05-17-2018 03:30 PM

Daffy Daphne, what a pretty quilt! I love the southwest style quilts. This one is also a great guy quilt. Is there a pattern name for this quilt? What size are your blocks? I'm guessing about 15 inches. Am I close? I typically use a 2.0 stitch for my piecing, with exception of paper piecing when I use a 1.6. Do you remember what size worked for you best?

Edited to add: I never thought about the starch stiffening the fabric so that it would hold together better and not start the fraying process. Thanks for the tip.

nena 05-17-2018 05:32 PM

Made a rag quilt . first time I washed it, took to laundry mat. Thanks goodness i did. there was a basket full of threads and when I dried them it was a mess. Sure hope it didn't ruin the washer. never again. but with regular quilts It is fine.

Barb in Louisiana 05-17-2018 05:32 PM

Daphne, I found the pattern. I am still interested in what stitch number you used. I am thinking a 1.8 would be tight enough.

quiltingshorttimer 05-17-2018 05:36 PM

did one, used lots of starch and little bit smaller stitch lenght