Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Honest opinion on this quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/honest-opinion-quilting-t294894.html)

MarionsQuilts 02-18-2018 06:45 AM

Honest opinion on this quilting

2 Attachment(s)
I really love the job I have done with my applique of the dance of the dragonflies.

I am struggling on how to quilt it. I have done straight lines - taken them out, done some tight stippling - taken them out.

And now I have done some meandering (organic LOL) quilting, but I still don't like it ...

What do you think? My tension is fine (finally), but I am seriously struggling with how to quilt this. I am almost tempted to not even quilt the negative space.

Please, give me your honest opinion, criticism. I don't mind taking it out again - I haven't quilted very much of it.

Thank you,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589321[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589322[/ATTACH]

nannykins8 02-18-2018 06:47 AM

I think it is lovely. I wish I could do as well.

soccertxi 02-18-2018 06:54 AM

I love the texture. Really, stand back 10 feet! We tend to look at our quilting with a magnifying glass! Look at the quilt as a Whole. The quilt needs this kind of quilting....

OhCanada 02-18-2018 07:10 AM

I think you are on the right track with the organic fmq. Have you considered using a mono thread or one that would blend into the negative space, it would give your beautiful quilt texture without distraction of contrasting thread.

butter14562 02-18-2018 07:31 AM

I think it beautiful. I’d use black or matching thread in area or your negative areas.

bkay 02-18-2018 08:54 AM

The applique is gorgeous. Honestly, I don't care for the whatever you call the quilting in the photo. Somehow, it distracts from the applique. Maybe its the color of the thread, maybe the design. I would go for quilting that doesn't show very much. The design is gorgeous, but very "busy" (full of motion and color). The obvious quilting just seems like too much.

JMHO

bkay

quiltedsunshine 02-18-2018 09:23 AM

It's a beautiful quilt! I wonder if the quilting lines were radiating out from the center, if it would blend better. I know on that background fabric, there are lines that radiate out from the center. Could you follow those lines? It looks like that's the way your started it on the light colored section.

I like to use the same quilting lines that you've used, too -- the long lines that flip at the edge of the design. They are a great filler.

bstock 02-18-2018 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada (Post 8005991)
I think you are on the right track with the organic fmq. Have you considered using a mono thread or one that would blend into the negative space, it would give your beautiful quilt texture without distraction of contrasting thread.

I agree with ohCanada. If you change the color of your thread, it won't take away from your beautiful applique.

MarionsQuilts 02-18-2018 09:42 AM

Thank you so much for the comments, I truly appreciate them.

I'm going to take it out again (third times the charm right?) ... I had forgotten that I have monofilament thread - thank you for that reminder!

I'm going to use the monofilament thread and I think I'll try doing some echo FMQ and see how that works.

Thanks again for all the comments.

I'll post a picture when I'm all done!

GEMRM 02-18-2018 09:45 AM

If the FMQ sort of followed the radiating lines of the fabric and the thread used matches/sinks in, I think it would be even more stunning. I love the dragonflies