Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hoo Woo Walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hoo-woo-walmart-t67689.html)

sewmuchmore 10-01-2010 04:34 AM

Walmart has some fabric in one of the stores near me!!! I have not seen them but a friend told me they have a small table with fabric for $5.00. I don't know how many yards that include I have to check them out.I am so happy :!: :thumbup:

craftybear 10-01-2010 04:52 AM

that is great news, have fun shopping for fabric

Frankie 10-01-2010 09:31 AM

Thing is with a really big company what on earth can we do to get their attentionn. They don't care about letters or customer wants or needs. It's what THEY want to put on the shelf that gets on the shelf. It's frustrating but again what will ever change their mind about what the customer wants. Think the lady who said if they wanted to cut out the sports or automotive department would men take it lying down, she had a good idea.

Pat and pups 10-01-2010 09:38 AM

Walmart is not deliberately ignoring quilters' requests. They only care about the bottom line--profits. To have a full fabric department, they have to pay someone to cut the fabric and they have to mark it up enough to be profitable. When it's not making the corporation enough money, they quit carrying it. Don't take it personally because they don't need to care about you; they only need to care about money, and they're making plenty of it.

I try not to buy anything from Walmart.

twistedsheets 10-01-2010 04:22 PM

Actually the stores in Stanislaus County, California such as the Turlock, and Ceres wal-mart have hired and are training new people in the fabric dept. Had heard when the remodeling came it would widdle out the fabs. Turlock's store has more to choose from. Thery have a $1.50 a yard table and even have been putting flannel in the selection now. A neighbor said Modesto supposedly has a good selection. Tho I am not buying at the moment I DO like to look when I have to get pet supplies or t.p. So I will assume since they are training more people for this dept, they are not planning to get rid of it.

twistedsheets 10-01-2010 04:31 PM

A gal who came in from a nursing service for mom ,got me interested in quilting and showed me hers she had done, when she had more time. She said she buys the blankets on sale from wal-mart for $5 they usually have a print w/white background, and she used this for her batting, cause it was cheaper . Of course she bought it larger than needed to fit her quilt and cut off excess, and used in other things. She did some really beautiful work too!!

BellaBoo 10-01-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
Walmart is not deliberately ignoring quilters' requests. They only care about the bottom line--profits. To have a full fabric department, they have to pay someone to cut the fabric and they have to mark it up enough to be profitable. When it's not making the corporation enough money, they quit carrying it. Don't take it personally because they don't need to care about you; they only need to care about money, and they're making plenty of it.

I try not to buy anything from Walmart.

Isn't profit the main goal of any business? Walmart isn't the bad guy, just the smarter guy. I agree I was disappointed when the fabric was taken out of the stores but honestly I haven't been deprived of buying fabric just because Walmart doesn't sell it. I shop Walmart and will continue to shop there. I save money shopping there.