Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "hope chests" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hope-chests-t241581.html)

Dorrie 02-20-2014 08:05 AM

"hope chests"

As most people remember when we were growing up (I'm 71) there was lots of talk about this subject. I am running out of ideas for gifts, contributions etc for my growing pile of projects. I have 5 granddaughters and three grandsons.
Most college age or close. My thought was to start making useful items that they could use when they get married or have an apartment themselves. Thoughts please.

Dorrie

BrendaK 02-20-2014 08:08 AM

I think that is a great idea. Taste change so how do you decide what to do? Thanks for the idea. BrendaK

mckwilter 02-20-2014 08:10 AM

Placemat & napkin sets; microwave bowl holders, pot holders, tablerunners. If you don't want to make quilts, how about a quilt topper [I don't know if that's what they're really called, but it is a smaller quilt that goes over a quilt for decoration].

dunster 02-20-2014 08:21 AM

Why not tell the grandkids that you would like to start making some things for them to use in their future lives. Ask what their tastes are and what they would like to have. Ask if they have a place to keep the things you make, or if you should keep them until they need them. It sounds like a great way to stay in touch with the grands, and they will also be more likely to tell you what they would like RIGHT NOW if they know you are looking for projects.

quiltingnd 02-20-2014 08:22 AM

My mom bought me a hope chest when I was in my teens. Then over the years, gifts were things to go in the hopechest for when I started my own life. I loved it. I had an aunt who made me pillow case overs, my grandmother made me a quilt. Not sure the younger generation will cherish those things as they should though until they are older.

francie yuhas 02-20-2014 08:23 AM

Funny story alert: when my sis and I were younger,she always said there was no hope for her chest! LOL

Nammie to 7 02-20-2014 10:15 AM

Dunster, you always have such good suggestions!! I have a granddaughter who will be going to college in a year and would like to start putting her "hope chest" together. She loves orange -- I saw orange pans the other day. Really need to ask if she would like them for her "someday" kitchen.

joy 02-20-2014 10:31 AM

for nammie to 7.... remember tastes change... in a few years she might hate orange... and it will go out of date too...

Jackie Spencer 02-20-2014 12:32 PM

My 20 year old Granddaughter just got married last fall, her Daddy made her a hope chest when she was 13. She had filled it to the brim, with all the things she wanted for her home. A lot of the things were homemade items I made for her for Birthdays and Christmas and of course her Wedding Quilt. I think there are still young ladies who have Hope Chests. I love your idea, and think your Grandchildren will too.

Pinkiris 02-20-2014 01:48 PM

You remind me that I haven't seen a hope chest in a furniture store for a long, long time. I have two--one belonged to my Grandmother and another one I bought at an antique store.

I think your idea of starting to make some "someday" items is great! Someday, those grandkids will appreciate that the items were made by their grandma (we hope).