Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hoping for some help from you!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hoping-some-help-you-t188354.html)

QuiltE 05-08-2012 07:49 AM

Being that your degree is in accounting, I'm really wondering, why in the last 5 wks, you'd be doing a presentation about quilting?

As an idea ... why not do an accountant's look at quilting!
In a lot of ways, successful quilting is all about #s .... and you could even have fun about the costs of creation, labour, ROI, etc.

patchsamkim 05-08-2012 08:10 AM

I was wondering the same thing...but do know that there is a lot of math involved in quilting and thought maybe that could be worked in someway. Good luck with your presentation!

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5202116)
Being that your degree is in accounting, I'm really wondering, why in the last 5 wks, you'd be doing a presentation about quilting?

As an idea ... why not do an accountant's look at quilting!
In a lot of ways, successful quilting is all about #s .... and you could even have fun about the costs of creation, labour, ROI, etc.

newbee3 05-08-2012 08:25 AM

quilters rise up to help like the pillowcase dresses for Hati, quilts of Valor, and there are pillowcases to name just a few. We quilt for our pleasure and the pleasure of others.

Jingle 05-08-2012 08:27 AM

Congrats on getting your degree. I agree there is a lot of math in quilt making. Since you will be an accountant I would lean towards that. Good luck I hope you boll them over with your knowledge.

Tartan 05-08-2012 09:02 AM

I would do some research on how expensive fabrics and quilting has gotten. Someone posted on QB the actual price of making a quilt and it is substancial. Can anyone one make a living at selling quilts today? Then look at some of the big prizes that expert quilter's can get for a prize winning quilt at a big show. Those people are the few super talented ones and not the general public. (at least not me) I know quilting isn't all about making money but since it's an accounting course, I would think that could be the angle to go from.

Dina 05-08-2012 09:13 AM

Don't forget the mental therapy that quilting offers. When the rest of the world is out of your control, what you do with quilting is completely under your control...well, okay, almost completely. :) Anyway, quilting is an escape from reality that I need.

Dina

QuiltE 05-08-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5202249)
I would do some research on how expensive fabrics and quilting has gotten. Someone posted on QB the actual price of making a quilt and it is substancial. Can anyone one make a living at selling quilts today? Then look at some of the big prizes that expert quilter's can get for a prize winning quilt at a big show. Those people are the few super talented ones and not the general public. (at least not me) I know quilting isn't all about making money but since it's an accounting course, I would think that could be the angle to go from.

A good example ... the quilt that sold in Australia fo $70,000 (approx) ... how was the price created?

The quilter put the quilt in a show, and one of the requirements was to put a "for sale" price on all entries. She valued it, with a guesstimation of the # hours work she'd put into it. And yet, knew that in reality she was low on the hours. Then she went with her $/hour ... and came up to $80,000. Not at the show, but later, she had an inquiry, and the sale price was established.

Yes it was a show piece of incredible work. And the price was the highest ever paid for a quilt.
The quilter was overwhelmed ... but knew that she was being paid well enough, that she could part with the quilt!

Most will never see quite that return for their work!

Teddybear Lady 05-08-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 5202266)
Don't forget the mental therapy that quilting offers. When the rest of the world is out of your control, what you do with quilting is completely under your control...well, okay, almost completely. :) Anyway, quilting is an escape from reality that I need.

Dina

I use quilting as a stress reliever. LOL I can sew scraps together without any measuring and end up with some pretty potholders or quilt squares. I just go to my sewing room, shut the door and play with my fabric. haha

Jan in VA 05-08-2012 11:33 AM

It's not your grandmother's quilting when there are numerous male quilters out there who are not only quilting but earning a good living at their craft/art. I'd include mention of John Flynn, Michael Shannon, Ricky Tims, and others who've been at this a while. Mention the amount of money spent on the industry annually. And add the amazing numbers of attendees at the huge national shows.....70,000 at Houston, for instance. You might also reference people like Caryl Bryer Fallert who sell their work in the five figure range to corporate collections as well as private individuals.

Such a broad topic!!!

Jan in VA

barny 05-08-2012 11:39 AM

You might go way back and tell about people using straw ticks to sleep on and cover up with. Or Wool quilts with batting made of spun wool.[ which I have done and own a wool batting , wool blanket]. It's all in where you want to start. We quilters are a creative bunch. If you read on here not only creative, but, sensitive. Many people on here give to hospitals, homes for children, cancer victims, children with many problems, veterans. And on, and on.