Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   House with long carpet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/house-long-carpet-t228334.html)

liont 08-19-2013 03:36 PM

House with long carpet

Hi, I've just moved back, and we are in a rental house.
Other than living and dining, the entire house is covered with long pile, "loopy" carpeting.
My husband is worried that I will "trash" the carpet, with my threads and other quilting "debris" getting trapped in the carpet.
That really put a dampener to my quilting. I am eager to start quilting, but I need to get a way to either cover the floor (with what?), or get a vacuum cleaner stronger enough to suck the tiny threads out of the loops.

What do you advise? Thanks!

mom-6 08-19-2013 03:43 PM

Could you get a chairmat(s) for your sewing area? That would protect your carpet and keep your chair able to move easily as well.

Misty's Mom 08-19-2013 03:45 PM

Maybe set up in the dining room?

ube quilting 08-19-2013 03:53 PM

I would get another cheap carpet and lay it down right over the other one. The loop carpet will act as a padding and when ready to move a vac will bring the pile back up.

You can't be expected to stop living and there is a certain amount of wear and tear that is expected in a rental that should not interfer with the return of a deposit if that is the case. I have lived in a lot of rentals and know what to expect in the way of wear on an apt.

Good luck.
peace

liont 08-19-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the responses. ube quilting, I am thinking along the lines of what you said... I'll be going around Ross, Marshalls to see what they have. Yes, agree with you that a certain amount of wear and tear must be expected... but we had a real bad experience with the previous rental and we are really wary (and weary)...

earthwalker 08-19-2013 04:55 PM

Sounds like a nightmare...what was the landlord thinking? Anyway I agree with ube quilting....maybe you could buy a remnant piece from a carpet supplier and just cover it over. If that is over budget....maybe a big tarp and pull it up every so often to air the carpet underneath.

barny 08-19-2013 05:16 PM

How about taking it up in one room, roll it up and lay it against a wall somewhere out of the way, paint the cement floor with a cement paint. and get a throw for yourself and when you move, put it back down.

Lori S 08-19-2013 05:16 PM

You can buy remnants at many carpet locations and have the edges bound for a small fee. Just a note my dyson vacuum made a mess out of loopy carpet. It snagged and pulled a lot of the carpet loops. Come to find out some carpet manufactures will not honor warranties if you use a dyson.

himnherr 08-19-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6244210)
You can buy remnants at many carpet locations and have the edges bound for a small fee. Just a note my dyson vacuum made a mess out of loopy carpet. It snagged and pulled a lot of the carpet loops. Come to find out some carpet manufactures will not honor warranties if you use a dyson.

Having a carpet bound is crazy cheap here. We had one done recently and it was $1.10 a foot! I thought that was cheap! Nice job, too.

BellaBoo 08-19-2013 06:53 PM

Long shag carpet hides everything. I guess that's why rentals have it. I think a big area rug would do the trick and probably look better too.