Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Household items turned quilting notions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-turned-quilting-notions-t69905.html)

donna13350 10-14-2010 09:29 AM

ok...more on the Bounce to keep mice away!! How does that work, and where do you put it? I live in an old home, and they seem to always find a way in...Donna

quiltilicious 10-14-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
I use dryer sheets in my fabric stash. I cut in half and put in between my fabric. That way it has a nice fresh smell when I use it.

That is a great idea. And if you use Bounce, it keeps mice away. Farm living teaches you so many interesting things!

I'm putting Bounce in the back of my kitchen cabinets then!!!

(the grossest thing I've found in recent years, has been the mouse "nest" in the books stored in the basement, and finding droppings in the BACK of the silverware drawer in the kitchen as we packed to move! Who knows how long that was going on? How often do you replace the silverware tray thingy?)

cactusmomma 10-14-2010 09:31 AM

I was wondering if that liquid bandage would work. Thanks. My finger gets so sore and I type on my job so I sit there for a day or two cringing every time I have to use that finger. I'm definitely going to try that.

I use freezer paper all the time for applique. Love it.

Quilting Nana 10-14-2010 09:32 AM

I have taped the top of a glue stick to the side of my machine. It is perfect for holding my seam ripper, little screw driver and cleaning brush.
I use thies quite often. Every time I replace my bobin I clean my machine.
I also am constantly looking for my little sissers to clip threads. So I put them on an elastic cord around my neck. I can always fine them.

Slow2Sew 10-14-2010 09:32 AM

Sorry if these are repeats:

A magnesium (concrete) floater works great to hold a long ruler in place for rotary cutting. They are surprisingly light weight and keep the ruler much more accurate with less pressure.

A plastic pencil box with a snap lid on it ($1.00 at Wal-Mart - ?) is the perfect size to store a 45mm rotary cutter.

I use pant hangers with clips to hang cutting mats since someone said the mats needed to be stored flat/straight and not leaning up against something.

Kathy46 10-14-2010 09:53 AM

Hi! Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I use a grapefruit spoon to close and open safety pins when I am sandwiching a quilt to be quilted. Works like a charm and less stress on the fingers.

Bobbin along 10-14-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by jprusky
Would you mind sharing with me your recipe for spray starch using corn starch? If it's an "old family secret" just say so and I'll understand. Thanks. Judy

I looked it up---I heaping Tpsp corn starch in a pint of cold water. put it in a spray bottle. always shake before using. Add 2 dropps of essential oil if you'd like a nice scent. :lol:

tutt 10-14-2010 09:54 AM

I took a free motion quilting class and as an alternative to gloves the instructor used Glycerine on her fingers to grip the fabric. It doesn't stain the fabric, is good for your hands and works. I got mine in the cake decorating department for two dollars.

NanSew 10-14-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I use bamboo skewers as a "stilleto". I cut one in half and taped the cut end. Works great and is CHEAP!

I use freezer paper for appliqueing

I have a wire "tray" thing that our flatware came in to hold my rulers.

I bought old plastic flatware trays at thrift stores to hold my individual pieces.

I haven't got it finished yet, but I was able to find a 6 foot roller shade at a thrift store for $10.00. I bought some flannel and will glue the flannel to it. VOILA - a designer wall!!!!

I love the roller shade idea, thanks!

Nanax4 10-14-2010 10:22 AM

I forgot one thing (probably I forgot a whole lot of things, I just haven't remembered them yet).

I bought un-used pizza boxes from Domino's. 25 boxes for $5. I store my fat quarters in them, sorted by color. I printed out colored squares on my pc and taped the appropriate square to the outside rim of each box.

Now I can easily just pull out the color that I want from the neatly stacked boxes.

Well...they WERE neatly stacked. For some reason DH has moved the stacks into the basement shower. Not so easily accessible there.