Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Household items turned quilting notions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-turned-quilting-notions-t69905.html)

Painiacs 10-15-2010 10:40 PM

Don't throw away scraps and thread! Put in old pillow case when full sew shut makes good animal bed!

TN Donna 10-15-2010 10:50 PM

This is a neat idea. I have bird nest in my trees that have beautiful threads and lace in them. I will tell my family and friends who sew this also.

TN Donna 10-15-2010 10:51 PM

It keeps the thread from becoming frizzy and getting fuzzy. I use this now for hand stitching, cross-stitching, etc.

dgmoby 10-16-2010 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)

Some people don't like the look of a pegboard, but I LOVE mine :)

I use it so much, that I expanded the one 2'x4' area to fill an entire wall - more like a LQS. Having a small room that holds a lot, including a longarm, makes it invaluable. My large one holds patterns, all my longarming templates, rulers and tools, rolls of paper/interfacing, all large spools of thread (about 200), oil, and a multitude of other things. I have have some of the very long pegs put across the top, with acrylic sheets on them for shelves. Then I placed some magazine holders with my magazines I wanted to keep, and covered boxes to hold zippers, buttons, extra marking pens/pencils, and other things that are small. I adore my pegboard! Liking that one pegboard wall so much, I created an additional pegboard space near my cutting table for all those tools (rotary cutters, scissors, etc.) and other supplies that hang up. 'It's a good thing,' as Martha says :)

Debbie in Austin

Sunshine 10-16-2010 04:15 AM

I keep a white plastic spoon in my storage can next to my machine. I hold it behind the machine needle; I can actually see the hole in the needle and thread it on the first try.

glenda5253 10-16-2010 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sunshine
I keep a white plastic spoon in my storage can next to my machine. I hold it behind the machine needle; I can actually see the hole in the needle and thread it on the first try.

I am going to try this one! Sometimes I have a terrible time visualizing where the needle hole is. :|

quilter64779 10-16-2010 06:05 AM

I use a bright yellow post it note folded in half. Since I only have one eye it certainly helps too. Might try the spoon it would be easier to hold I think

fktsewing 10-16-2010 07:52 AM

I have a silver metal standing towel holder that is for bathrooms, shaped in an S on the top to hold the small towels and this is what I use to hold all my scissors---small ones on one side and big ones on the other--they just slide on and off.
I have 2 over the door racks that are made for spices and canned goods on each of the doors in my sewing room---one holds my serger threads & ribbons and the other my fat quarters. I have lots of silverware trays that hold other notions, the thimble cup that was out with the bathroom collection designed to resemble the Monopoly pieces. I have 2 microwave carts that I use--one for my steam press and the other for my portable ironing board & iron. On my cutting table, I use a divided silverware carrier for my scissors there and my rotary cutters. I have 2 large units with small & a few larger drawers that are in the Hardware dept for screws & nails --one for my buttons divided by color and the other for jewelry findings & beads also divided. I have 3 small drawer units that were at Kroger for a $1.00 each to hold all my attachement feet for my sewing machine, each drawer is marked with the name of the foot using my dymo label maker, and one of them I use for all my sewing machine needles also marked. I use plastic hanging file containers with hanging file folders to hold all my magazines. Just hang the folder and open the magazine in the middle and place on the folder---no bent edges and easy access to find the one I want.

brings 10-16-2010 07:54 AM

Think you for info on zinc ,my husband works in produce so the acid from the fruit and veggies cause his hands to crack .

Letty 10-16-2010 09:27 AM

Hi.I use herb jars,those with holes and feed used needles and bent pints into them for the rubbish collection. Trouser/ skirt hangers with spring clips ,great for holding completed blocks or pre-cut squares. xx