Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   household items used for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-used-quilting-t249301.html)

AllyStitches 07-06-2014 03:46 PM

I don't have anything epic to report, but I keep my little squeeze bottle of machine oil in a small juice glass. No matter what you do, those little squeeze bottles always leak, and I got tired of having machine oil all over my other things.

I also used a long piece of door (?) trim and screwed metal art clips to it, to hang my design wall from. The trim piece was then screwed to the wall in my old kitchen, and I could put up or take down the design wall whenever I needed to. Hopefully I'll have that up in my new sewing room soon. :-)

tenngal 07-08-2014 10:08 AM

I found 2 gallon ones at Family Dollar.

TerrimB 07-09-2014 08:18 AM

I love all of these ideas and use many myself such as plastic medicine bottles to hold chalk for marking and painters/ masking tape for marking quilts, and also-and maybe i'm just weird, but i use it to tape my thread down to the machine so it doesn't pull out of the needle when i start to sew. Also makes for shorter thread ends to waste. I use an old metal band-aid tin to hold thimbles. And a tackle box for my most used items such as cutter, fabric needle book, safety pins and pin tomato. I also use vinyl and cloth gardening gloves to grip quilt when free motion quilting and when I'm sewing slippery fabrics for other projects.

blondeslave 07-09-2014 11:54 AM

I use small-ish binder clips when I'm sewing the binding on. Just keep moving them along the row as I go.

SewExtremeSeams 07-14-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TerrimB (Post 6792838)
...and maybe i'm just weird, but i use it to tape my thread down to the machine so it doesn't pull out of the needle when i start to sew. Also makes for shorter thread ends to waste.

Now, that is a really smart idea. Why didn't I ever think of that??? Thanks, Terri!!!

carolynjo 05-19-2015 04:37 AM

Washers of varying sizes to use when appliqueing circles. I gather the edges and starch heavily, press, and then peel the fabric off the washers. A steel square ruler for cutting. Chop sticks to hold fabric down when sewing. Stack of post-its to use as a "wall" to make sure my 1/4" seam stays straight.

Bobbielinks 05-19-2015 04:49 AM

I use a plastic soap dish with the snap close lid to hold my pins. A foam meat tray (washed very well) holds my scissors, seam ripper, pencil, small tablet, and 2 by 2 inch square ruler (use the ruler to check 1/4 inch seams).

Bobbielinks 05-19-2015 04:53 AM

Just thought of another, those larger meat trays also work very well for organizing blocks, one on each tray and stack them up to take to the machine for sewing.

mengler 05-19-2015 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by oldtisme (Post 6782215)
Marge where do you find the 2 1/2 gal Ziplocks? I can't find them anywhere.
Jeri

I think I got them at Walmart. I was making 2 Amy butler bloom quilts - 600 yo yo flowers in different sizes. Each bag was labeled with one of the sizes. There aren't many in a box but they're reusable and huge.