Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Houston International Quilt Festival - Mid-Arm Vendors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/houston-international-quilt-festival-mid-arm-vendors-t153093.html)

Gramof6 09-16-2011 11:14 PM

My DH over thinks & researches everything he buys so I know what that is like. But regarding an investment like this, it pays to think & research. At Houston you will get to try out every machine made. After trying out there, we changed our mind & went with another brand. The A-1. It really pays to try out these machines and also ask for some setup & training. Our Rep came from Tx to Okla. and stayed for 2 days. We learned so much! I think you are wise to go and have your notes all ready when you go to try out machines.

georgiat 09-17-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync
I have visited the quiltfrog.com website and their prices are awesome. I also noticed they include lots of great extras in their packages including the 2 day beginner training. I want to also visit them while in Houston.

I would call Carrie and talk to her. They were at the show last year in the Innova booth with I think someone else was minding the store. Carrie is very good. When I bought my machine from her 2 years ago she tried to get me to take the class and I declined as I have several friends who have machines. Well, after a year she still honored my class and I met a girl (who became a friend) from Pennsylvania who was down here to buy from Carrie and Tom! Her 2 day class includes onsite accomodations! Can't say enough about them! Back to the original question, you should have plenty of hands on time to try out. If you don't, just kindly tell them you are serious not just playing with the machines as there are lots of those at the show too, drooling and wishing. I was one for years!

Pam H 09-17-2011 05:09 PM

I went to the show in Houston last year. You should not have any problem being able to try out any of the machines you are interested in. I tried several and I was not even thinking about buying one. I hope you are staying overnight and going to the show at least 2 days. There is just so much to do there with all the quilts on display, the vendors, the free lectures and you may want to take in a class or 2. Have fun and don't forget your camera!

winipb2 09-17-2011 07:52 PM

I think that some of the "good" deals on the machines are 'Floor Models" from various dealers. There is nothing wrong with them and if you are serious I would suggest you "test drive" the ones you mentioned and be prepared to take advantage of the show deals. Come to Houston and take a look. It is worth the drive. I second georgiat's suggestion to see Carrie at the ABM Innova booth. She carries several brands and will allow you to make your decision but will keep you informed as you ask questions about any and all the machines she carries.
Wini in Houston

Bluehouse 09-18-2011 06:37 PM

Check out the Crown Jewel by Baby Lock. They just came out with some new features.

AudreyB 09-18-2011 06:47 PM

I just sent you a pm. I live nearby and have a Tin Lizzie 18. You can come try mine if you'd like.

sguillot 09-19-2011 04:55 AM

I bought my long arm from them and they are very helpful. They have a place that you can come and spend several days and take classes and try the machines. There is a calendar on the wesite that will give you all the class dates and prices. I have bought tons of stuff from there and have never been disappointed.

Originally Posted by njh2351
Go to quilt frog.com and look at Innova's You will love the machine. Call Carrie and she will set up appointment they are in Spring,Texas just out side of Houston and they have free training that is wonderful. I can not say enough good about them and there service! Nancy

butterflywing 09-19-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync
Thank you, MTS. I have been studying the machines quite a bit and have read oodles of reviews. I first thought of getting a Bailey and building a frame because of price, but have pretty much decided to spend a little more to get more features and an "original build" machine (not a stretched machine). My "short list" at the moment includes the HQ 16, Tin Lizzie 18 and Innova 18. I actually have a tendency to "over study" everything before making a decision. It's a really exhausting trait sometimes...LOL!

anything 18" and over is considered a longarm. of course, a lot of longarmers have really longarms, 26" and over, bit as far as i know, 18" is considered a longarm. btw, gammil, i think, has rolled back their price on the basic machine, while adding some features, so be sure to look at that. it's also 18" and in the same $$ category as the tin lizzie.

drgranny 09-24-2011 07:34 AM

My "short list" at the moment includes the HQ 16, Tin Lizzie 18 and Innova 18.

You won't go wrong with an Innova 18. There is a quilt shop in spring,texas where I ordered my machine from. They are dealers for Tin Lizzie, ABM Innova, and another that I can't remember the name of. Their web site is called Quilt Frog. Spring is a suburb of Houston. These people were really good to us. I bought an Innova 18 Pinkie that had been a demo machine, at a very nice discount and she gave me the show special with the machine even tho I bought it before the show. But when FEDX delivered it it had been dropped so we didn't accept it. I got a brand new one as a replacement. The pinkie was actually pink. There are also classes included in the show special. The service warranty is very good on the Innova also. You also have phone access to a repairman 24/7 who will walk you thru any problem you have. I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied customer. Ask Charisma about the service she got on her machine. Can't beat it!

Holice 09-24-2011 07:39 AM

if you are looking at machines then Houston is the place to go. Wait if you need to, it will be worth your time.
All the machine companies will be there. I went last year and there was plenty of time to try out the machines.