Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Houston International Quilt Festival (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/houston-international-quilt-festival-t166654.html)

BellaBoo 11-06-2011 05:29 PM

The quilts will leave you in awe. Paducah is great, but it can't compete with Houston.

JanTx 11-06-2011 07:21 PM

Two friends and I went together - we live just a bit more than an hour out so drove in for the day. We had been down 2 aisles when we realized it had taken us two hours to do that! Decided we'd better move a bit faster if we wanted to see more than just a little bit. We are all fairly new quilters so fabric bundles were our biggest purchases. 5 coordinated yards for $29.99 seem like a good deal. Patterns are included. Also got Hobbs batting at better prices than I've seen anywhere else. Oohed and ahhed at all the beautiful quilts. Drooled over the sewing machines. Picked up some patterns. Inspired, delighted, exhausted... it was a great day!

Sheila_H 11-06-2011 07:33 PM

Wow it sounds like a wonderful time had by all, it sounds like it was bigger than my Vermont Festival lol
Hopefully I can attend wherever it's going to be next year, my problem is I walk with a cane and have back issues so it's hard for me to be on my feet for long periods of time. Maybe the scooter rental might work for me but then you've got to navigate between people.

erstan947 11-06-2011 08:42 PM

I went Thursday and Friday. Loved it. I didn't take any photos but met lots of quilty people. Amazing quilts and loved the vendor section. :thumbup:

sewloved 11-06-2011 08:57 PM

I was only able to go on Friday for a few hours. Long enough to get a new machine. :) I ended up with my son's cold by the end of Friday night and didn't return.

I only live about 40 minutes away but it is still a hassle to get there park, etc. Next year, I'm going all out. I'm going to arrange my husband's work schedule, so I have no baby sitting issues. I'm getting a hotel room. Flying my mother-in-law in to go with me. I'm going to take a class and spend two days shopping.

It is always a beautiful experience. The show quilts are gorgeous. It is a true perk to living in the area. I do think all quilters need to try to go once.

pc1camp 11-06-2011 09:13 PM

Houston Festival

There is not any comparison. You do understand it is the largest one in the world. There are over 1000 quilts and about 700 or so booths. You can go every day and do good to see it all. My first trip I was just stunned. Now I just run thru it as fast as I can. I have learned what are places that I want to stop at and just go by. I was there 4 days and did not go to any classes and feel like I have been run over by a MAC truck. Paducah is great as the town is so lovely and I really enjoyed it, but there is no comparison to Houston. You owe it to go at least once. I volunteered in interviewing Texas quilters for a new book that has been published about saving out heritage of quilting. We interviewed dozens of Texas quilters along with their quilt that was picked to be in the book and it was so very interesting being a part of this process. The quilts are so unbelievable. It is almost hard to believe that someone actually made them. How does it compare to the AQS show in Paducah? I go to that one, but might think about flying to the market next year.[/QUOTE]

pc1camp 11-06-2011 09:20 PM

Just a quick note: If anyone is planning to go next year, you need to make reservations NOW. Most of the regulard and out of country and out of towners, make their returns before they leave town. There are 55 to 66,000 people what come so rooms are at a premium and the cost show that.

TexasGurl 11-07-2011 09:35 AM

I went Sat & Sun ... walked my feet off, SO tired but SO happy ... thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm fortunate to be only 25 mi away, so its an annual event for us !

Yosamitesa 11-07-2011 09:37 AM

Went Saturday with my hubby and baby boy. WE had a blast!!! Even the baby had fun...he waved and told all the ladies
"HI!!!!!"

TexasGurl 11-07-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by pc1camp (Post 4644651)
There is not any comparison. You do understand it is the largest one in the world. There are over 1000 quilts and about 700 or so booths. You can go every day and do good to see it all. My first trip I was just stunned. Now I just run thru it as fast as I can. I have learned what are places that I want to stop at and just go by. I was there 4 days and did not go to any classes and feel like I have been run over by a MAC truck. Paducah is great as the town is so lovely and I really enjoyed it, but there is no comparison to Houston. You owe it to go at least once. I volunteered in interviewing Texas quilters for a new book that has been published about saving out heritage of quilting. We interviewed dozens of Texas quilters along with their quilt that was picked to be in the book and it was so very interesting being a part of this process. The quilts are so unbelievable. It is almost hard to believe that someone actually made them. How does it compare to the AQS show in Paducah? I go to that one, but might think about flying to the market next year.

[/QUOTE]

Actually there were 900+ vendors !! TOO MUCH to see !!
Yes, Every quilter does need to come at least ONCE in their lifetime ... It is truly Quilters Mecca !! I'm so lucky to have it in our "backyard" - only 25 mi to downtown for me from W Houston