Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Houston Quilt Festival (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/houston-quilt-festival-t153433.html)

sguillot 09-16-2011 11:36 AM

For several years now a few months before the Houston Quilt Festival time I start getting e-mails about volunteering to work at festival. One of the perks is free admission so this year I thought it would be neat to do just that. The shifts are only 3 or 4 hours and there are jobs you can sit part of the time. I am just waiting for the e-mail to let me know what date and time and the job I have been assigned to do. I think it will be very interesting to do and I told them I need the early shift because I don't drive at night so wish me luck. I will let you know how it goes. If any of you are coming, look me up it would be really cool to meet some of you.

jljack 09-16-2011 12:05 PM

I volunteered to be a White Glove Lady at Road to California in 2009 for our guild to display our opportunity quilt and sell tickets. It was really fun, and I got in free!!

craftybear 09-16-2011 12:47 PM

Have fun and maybe you could wear a badge so we know you are from the Quilting Board

I have never been there before so maybe one of these days, long ways from Indiana

Originally Posted by sguillot
For several years now a few months before the Houston Quilt Festival time I start getting e-mails about volunteering to work at festival. One of the perks is free admission so this year I thought it would be neat to do just that. The shifts are only 3 or 4 hours and there are jobs you can sit part of the time. I am just waiting for the e-mail to let me know what date and time and the job I have been assigned to do. I think it will be very interesting to do and I told them I need the early shift because I don't drive at night so wish me luck. I will let you know how it goes. If any of you are coming, look me up it would be really cool to meet some of you.

sguillot 09-16-2011 12:50 PM

Yes, it is a long way but the hotels and everything is within walking distance. I am always amazed at far some ladies and men to come just for this show. I have gone almost every year and there is always so much to see and so many things to buy. I have to start saving my money well in advance. Half the fun is buying lots of stuff. You know how we quilters are about our Stuff.

QuiltingNinaSue 09-16-2011 12:54 PM

We attended way back in 1998 when dd lived in Houston. Paid her way into the show two days & stayed with her and she drove the distance from her house to downtown.

Enjoyed the show; thought it was wonderful. But the AQS puts on an excellent show in Des Moines, Iowa. Its coming up at the end of the month.

I am always amazed at the beauty of the quilts and the wonderful "persons" at these events. Quilters are more than just people; they are loving, caring & giving persons. Reasons why I love the QB and its "persons".

QuiltingNinaSue 09-16-2011 12:54 PM

We attended way back in 1998 when dd lived in Houston. Paid her way into the show two days & stayed with her and she drove the distance from her house to downtown.

Enjoyed the show; thought it was wonderful. But the AQS puts on an excellent show in Des Moines, Iowa. Its coming up at the end of the month.

I am always amazed at the beauty of the quilts and the wonderful "persons" at these events. Quilters are more than just people; they are loving, caring & giving persons. Reasons why I love the QB and its "persons".

sguillot 09-16-2011 12:59 PM

Exactly, I think we all have a special bond and love to share our ideas and talents with others with the same likes and dislikes. I have learned so much by being a part of this board and talked to so many nice people. I would never have thought of anything like the postage stamp quilt or using the selvedges in a quilt, and hopefully by some chance we could meet one day. My husband passed away 3 years ago and this makes me fell like I belong and I have a hobby to share with others.

luvstitches 09-16-2011 01:04 PM

Would love to be there and meet you. Maybe in the future I will be able to buy tickets and fly down as part of our vacation. Please let us know how the show is and have a great time working there.

sguillot 09-16-2011 01:06 PM

Will do, I plan to take off a couple of days during that time. I also hope to retire soon and I'm looking forward to having more time to spend quilting and doing the things that I either don't have time for or are to tired to do when I get home and feed my puppies. I have 3 and they have been my saving grace since my husband passed away plus I have a great support system in my family.