Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-about-using-embroidery-machine-do-quilting-t140181.html)

KwiltyKahy 07-25-2011 02:04 PM

I have done it and think it is great. Embroidery Library (my favorite ME site) has many quilting designs, full block, half block, corners. Great prices and sales all the time.

nanquilt 07-25-2011 02:46 PM

I have a Bernina 830 and it is very easy to do embroidery on the quilt. I enjoy "quilting as your go " and using sashings to connect the blocks and any embroidery machine can accomplish a small block. Just practice with a quilt sandwich made with muslim for the front and back and some batting scraps between. Happy quilting with your embroidery machine.

CoriAmD 07-25-2011 02:53 PM

I use my embroidery machine for quilting all the time. I love it! You can find lots of "outline" or "redwork" designs online that you can purchase and download. Just do a search for embroidery designs. There are several sites I use.

ladycaller 07-26-2011 03:30 AM

I have and I was not pleased.I should have started and practiced on a small one but I did a large quilt. The borders are really nice .but I did the middle blocks and had extra material and got a few pleats in the back. I am going to try to cover it up with something?? Put it away and don't want to look at it for awhile.

justlooking 07-26-2011 03:57 AM

Just bought an 830LE Saturday, so I'm just learning. Will be looking forward to learning all of the above.

Judi in Ohio 07-26-2011 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cmw0829
I bought an embroidery machine a few months ago with the plan to combine embroidery and piecing on my quilt tops.

Then...I took an FMQ class. This is not something that I believe I will excel at. And I will not be satisfied with less than high-quality (not perfect) results.

I'm pretty certain that I've seem embroidery designs for quilt motifs that could be continuously embroidered along a border or embroidered within a square.

I came to quilting from embroidery, so my first quilt was embroidered on the machine. Of course, it was queen size and the quilting design was way too dense. More redwork than quilting. I layed it on my dining room table, with tables around to hold the weight. It did ok. I did one last year and except for one block that popped off and I didn't see it and had to pick out all the stitches - grrrrr it turned out better. I had my long armer do some quilting in between the blocks to tie it in - I think it saved me some money and was very pretty. I'll do it again for sure. The designs are so much better now.
Judi

Has anyone done this in place of FMQ? What do you think of the idea?

Thanks,
Cathy

camryn's christmas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231858[/ATTACH]

Judi in Ohio 07-26-2011 04:26 AM

This is the quilt I made my dgd with embroidered quilting designs. I used two different ones for the two different blocks. My la'er worked the two in together.
Judi

mimiknoxtaylor 07-26-2011 04:28 AM

I use my embroidery machine often for the quilting in combination with FMQ. One grandson wanted a pirate quilt & I used emb. designs in the larger spaces from my emb. machine & then did FMQ around.

LoriMcc 07-26-2011 04:42 AM

Yes! I have used my Amaya to "quilt" quilts. You have to hoop a lot, but I was happy with the results as I am not good at FMQ. I look at the quilts now, several years later, and still like the quilting. There are free designs on the internet! Good luck!! :thumbup:

nabobw 07-26-2011 04:58 AM

use it all the time to quilt