Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to applique this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-applique-t78956.html)

Maride 11-27-2010 07:55 AM

One thing to remember:

Draw on the paper side of the freezer paper and iron the freezer paper templates onto the right side of the fabrics that already have fusible on the wrong side. This way all the components will be facing the right way when you iron them onto the T-shirt.

Now we need the long story.

raedar63 11-27-2010 08:50 AM

OK I think after reading the sugestiong I have somewhere to begin, I think I will put it on a square of fabric and then just fuse and sew the square to the T-shirt.I am afraid once the three represtnted by the unicorns see this I will have to make three more. Now for the rest of the
story.....lol( I know your age range if you got that one he he)

My oldest son marches to the beat of his own drum as they say , much like his mother. He has recently moved back home after serving in the USMC for 4 years. Well before his term in the corps he and two others guys were insepreble,through good and MUCH BAD(whew I don't miss the bad) Any way these three had a "falling out right before my son went into the Marines. One of the kids had kept in touch with me off and on and over all these are good kids,well men now. They all grew up but still are very unique shall we say to put it lightly. They are grown up now with spouses and kids,except my son and he lives with me.
Well we were at the flea market a few weeks ago and my son wanted a unicorn shirt (just so he could push buttons . I said "what? a former Marine wear a Unicorn shirt you are crazy" Well now he wont let it go and keeps teasing me that "I will have my unicorn shirt". So yesterday he came home from one of the guys house(The three all reconsiled when my son came home from serving.) My son said 'Mom derick has a unicorn shirt! Why wont you let me get one? " He teases me all the time. Anyway
he wont shut up about the shirt and I just think this is a funny unicorn pic, My intention was to make a "manly" unicorn with blood dripping from the horn etc,for a funny christmas gift, but this is so much more like my son,and the other two it is unbelevable. So there it is I don't know if it makes since ,it is one of those have to be there things .
Rae

greensleeves 11-27-2010 08:56 AM

Good story and you can definitely see three personalities. I think it will make a fabulous t-shirt but I think you better make three now, those other two friends are gonna be wanting one.

Maride 11-27-2010 09:01 AM

Fun! That is something I would do. I want to see it finished.

janRN 11-27-2010 09:16 AM

How about fabric paint? It holds up to washing better than applique (at least my applique).

raedar63 11-27-2010 09:19 AM

Do you mean paint it on with fabric paint? this sounds great too please give me a little detail, sounds easier too! I have never appliqued.

stewyscrewy 11-27-2010 09:55 AM

oh this is going to be a great project. I love Marides idea. It is also pretty easy to do. What every your choice is I sure hope you post the final product.

amma 11-27-2010 12:36 PM

I love the background story!! :D:D:D

Just a suggestion, a 50%cotton/50%poly tee shirt, works better for me when appliquing. I pre shrink them once and then they don't continue to shrink/distort the applique like a 100% cotton does.

CoriAmD 11-27-2010 12:40 PM

I don't have any advice, but I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

lab fairy 11-27-2010 01:06 PM

I agree with Maride's advice and will add mine. Use a stabilizer on the inside of the shirt to keep your shirt from distorting. A heavy wash-away will work well because it will allow the t-shirt to drape naturally when you finish.

If you paint the fabric, use a textile medium in any acrylic paint and have at it. When painting fabric, less is more. Heat set after it is dry and you are golden. There are fabric paints designed to be used without the textile medium but I liked using what I had on hand. I've painted a LOT of shirts.