Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How big are 'fabric crumbs'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-big-fabric-crumbs-t242013.html)

1000scraps 02-27-2014 02:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 6598320)
Are the crumbs pieced on a foundation or are they sewn together?

Anita

I think you mean the new fabric for the little bags: yes, they are laid on fusible web and then ironed on!!! After that I put some net lace over it, Thermolam on the backside and then I stitch the raw edges with the fancy stitches I have on my machine!!! Besides I can use up the remains on my yarn spools: if one is empty I take the next one!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464728[/ATTACH]

Laying out the stripes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464729[/ATTACH]
Ironing on

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464730[/ATTACH]
Laying some tulle over it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464731[/ATTACH]
Using all my fancy stitches!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464732[/ATTACH]
A look on the backside!!!

1000scraps 02-27-2014 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 6598320)
Are the crumbs pieced on a foundation or are they sewn together?

Anita

And here are some more pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1172541...eat=directlink

Yooper32 02-27-2014 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1000scraps (Post 6596829)
I can't throw anything I try to make new fabric out of all the tiny little scraps: for example sewing all the small stripes one inch wide together and using the "lasagne method" I'll get new fabric:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464556[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464557[/ATTACH]

And then I made some place mats out of this "new fabric":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464558[/ATTACH]

Or I use even smaller stripes like this: some are only 1cm wide!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464559[/ATTACH]

And they give nice little bags:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464560[/ATTACH]

And if there are "crumbs" that I can't use I give them to the Kindergarten: they can sort for color or shape and glue them on paper to make some pictures out of them!!!

I absolutely love your "new fabric".

salemrabbits 02-27-2014 07:12 AM

I just paid postage from a fellow quilter on this website from Ohio- got a great box of crumbs. I make lots of crumb blocks with little pieces. I have sorted some of the goodies in the box and the too small stuff goes in a bag for the dog beds. Yes you need seams in crumb blocks, and I am careful. Some of my 4" blocks have over 50 pieces.....there is no quilt police with these. My quilting buddies think I'm nuts for wasting time making fabric- BUT they sure love seeing what is created from their castoffs. I appreciate them--I also have a pretty hefty stash which I pet on occasion-but I'd rather play with crumbs and strings.

maviskw 02-27-2014 09:56 AM

I'm in the process of making a crumb quilt. 9.5 inch blocks, some of which have 37 pieces. I only counted one. LOL The 2 inch corner stones have at least 3 pieces, most have 4 or 5, and some have 7.

I'm using 1/8 in. seams in most of this, so a strip 1/2 inch wide goes in. Whether or not I save some of these really smaller pieces and strips has everything to do with the fabric and color. If it's blah, I put it into the cat pillow basket.

ThreadHead 02-27-2014 07:03 PM

Well, after reading these post I pulled out my scrap box and separated it into colors, took me two hours. What a chore. Now I've been thinking about another Sun Bonnet Sue and another Butterfly Applique'. The first ones I made were testers and they came out pretty good, so if I use the better fabrics I think they will be nicer looking.

Jannie 02-27-2014 07:03 PM

Contact your local quilt store and see if they know of anyone who makes pet beds. The one I found in my area, will take anything, nothing is to small. She also will take old sheets, pj's, batting, clothing and material. If it can be used for a quilt top or back she uses it that way and everything else is cut up to go inside of pet beds. Nothing goes into the recycle bin any more for me.

Cedar 03-02-2014 01:51 AM

I am so in love with these! How do you stitch them together when they're this small?

Originally Posted by 1000scraps (Post 6596829)
Or I use even smaller stripes like this: some are only 1cm wide!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464559[/ATTACH]

And they give nice little bags:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464560[/ATTACH]

And if there are "crumbs" that I can't use I give them to the Kindergarten: they can sort for color or shape and glue them on paper to make some pictures out of them!!!

Cedar 03-02-2014 01:52 AM

Never mind . . . I see you already answered my question. ;)

moonrise 03-02-2014 02:11 AM

I keep pieces that I can cut a 1-1/2" square from, and strips that are at least 1" wide. I keep selvages too. Love those! :thumbup:

Anything else gets tossed.