Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How big for stash fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-big-stash-fabric-t213918.html)

KarynneStorm 02-15-2013 03:25 PM

How big for stash fabric?

1 Attachment(s)
So I found a picture of someone's stash, and once I stopped drooling, a question popped up in my mind. I like to buy fabrics when they are on sale, or if I have a coupon, or they are having a special, as I am sure we all do.

My question; If I am buying specifically for my stash, how big is a good size piece for strictly stash pieces? A yard, two yards? half yards?

What say you, knowers of way more info than I?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]395359[/ATTACH]

MaryMo 02-15-2013 03:30 PM

I buy at least one yard, sometimes more depending on the price. The one yard lets me use the fabric in participating in FQ swaps and have some left for myself. I make mostly scrap or I-Spy quilts. If I really like it and it is a really good bargain, I'll buy 5 yards so I have enough for backing. I also buy from estate sales or garage sales or stash reduction sales, so from those I take what I can get. I wish mine was this organized. Good luck! Building stash can become an obsession.

katier825 02-15-2013 03:33 PM

I'm sure you will get many answers...but for me, if it's a larger print that I think will be good for a border, 2-3 yds. For anything else, I often only buy 1-2 yd. I have a bunch of FQs from when I first started building up my stash, but often want more than that. If it's a favorite color that you think you might use often, and a good deal comes along, you might want to stock up. I use a ton of blues/greens, so I don't mind getting a little more. Sometimes it goes in the top, sometimes in the back.

I guess it may also depend on your style...if you like scrappy quilts, smaller amounts are fine. If you prefer a less scrappy quilt, try to get a couple of yards so you have enough for whatever pattern you may have thoughts about using it for.

ckcowl 02-15-2013 03:35 PM

i do have an extensive stash---i (generally) decide everything on a very individual basis---if it looks like it would make great borders- or is a border print i usually will pick up 3 yards so i can cut borders lengthwise=not have to piece them.
if i love it & think it would make a great backing or background i will buy 6-10 yards (or the bolt)
if i like it but really don't know what i would do with it- just want a piece of it that may come in handy i buy either a fq or 1/2 yard. when i look at any fabric that (catches my eye) i generally immediately start envisioning the possibilites---lots of blocks, appliques, borders, backgrounds, sashings, a blender that could be used over & over again in numerous projects....then i decide how much of it i think i should get. i very very seldom purchase pre-cuts or anything less than 1 yard-

Nantie 02-15-2013 03:36 PM

I think after a while you get a sense of what you might use that fabric for someday..or it is the perfect addition to fabrics already in your stash..my general rule never less than a yard, more commonly 2 yds. thinking of borders or backings, and batiks if i really like them or they are not usually found other than online at least 3 yds..this is what i probably do most often when buying fabric for "piecing stash" backing stash is a whole other topic...lol

mic-pa 02-15-2013 03:37 PM

I do not have much of a stash, because the patterns in fabric change as do my thoughts. So I like to buy whats new on the market for my latest project. However, that being said I do keep tone on tones in my stash and when I do buy I like to get 2-3 yds so I have enought to work with when I do need it. "Blenders" are always a good choice, right now I am fixed on willow by Timeless treasure. Love that fabric.

Minnesewta-sam 02-15-2013 04:32 PM

I like to buy color coordinated fabrics that go together. Getting usually 1-3 yards of each depending on the fabric.

Lori S 02-15-2013 04:43 PM

If I think its going into a border .. 3 yards. If its just so pretty 2-3 yards if its to be the "show case fabric" . If its a great bargain like a nice cream on cream or white on white... the whole bolt or at least 6 yards. If its just a blender .. 1 yard.

lots2do 02-15-2013 05:04 PM

I used to buy on speculation and started with smaller amounts. Then I started buying some 2-3 yard pieces. Now, we are facing downsizing and I am working on using up the stuff I like but don't love. The stuff I love is my retirement stash. I feel comforted by having a certain amount of stuff stashed away but am getting to the point where I feel like I really do have too much and knowing that we'll be moving from a house to a two bedroom condo makes using it a realistic plan.
Oh, and I remember reading that Alex Anderson buys a third of a yard instead of a fat quarter. Considers that more useful.

jcrow 02-15-2013 05:21 PM

I buy fat quarter bundles or jelly rolls or layer cakes and usually 2 coordinating fabrics from the line that I love for sashing and borders and binding. I buy usually 2 yards and 3 yards. Then I find something for the backing at my LQS. I'm not good with matching colors yet. I've been quilting since 1992, but colors are hard for me to mix together. What I think matches, the gals at the LQS say don't match, so that's why I buy fabric lines unfortunately. Maybe someday I will understand color better. I buy kits a lot too so I don't have to select fabric.