Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How big was your first quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-big-your-first-quilt-t108516.html)

Happy Tails 03-20-2011 03:34 AM

Queen size, snowball quilt, 6 weeks

gnewk 03-20-2011 07:59 AM

Mine was a "Baby Hopscotch Quilt". That was 3 months ago. I have now done 2 different quilts and am working on #4 and loving this "quilting thing" ;-}}

swizzy 03-20-2011 08:09 AM

My first quilt was a full size crazy quilt.

drgranny 03-20-2011 10:05 AM

My first quilt was log cabin. I made it about 35 yrs ago. It was king size. I couldn't get a king size batt here in town and I didn't want to go to the next big town to find one so I ordered a batt of poly from an upholstery company. I got it the next day and happily spread my quilt on the floor and started rolling my batt onto my quilt back. I got it all sandwiched and got it on my frame. I started hand quilting it and thought to myself, man, how do some of those ladys get 10 stitches to the inch. I was doing good to get 4. So I quilted and quilted and hit a spot where the batting was thinner and boy! I got 8 stitches to the inch. That is when I realized that there was a difference in batting. Well, I finished the quilt and it was so heavy I couldn't stand to sleep under it. I later found the waybill on that roll of batting and it weighed 15 pounds!!!

SaraSewing 03-20-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny
My first quilt was log cabin. I made it about 35 yrs ago. It was king size. I couldn't get a king size batt here in town and I didn't want to go to the next big town to find one so I ordered a batt of poly from an upholstery company. I got it the next day and happily spread my quilt on the floor and started rolling my batt onto my quilt back. I got it all sandwiched and got it on my frame. I started hand quilting it and thought to myself, man, how do some of those ladys get 10 stitches to the inch. I was doing good to get 4. So I quilted and quilted and hit a spot where the batting was thinner and boy! I got 8 stitches to the inch. That is when I realized that there was a difference in batting. Well, I finished the quilt and it was so heavy I couldn't stand to sleep under it. I later found the waybill on that roll of batting and it weighed 15 pounds!!!

This story made me laugh! What a story. The visual image of this quilt is great. Do you still have this monster? Mistakes like this make us realize we all make mistakes.

longerarmer 03-20-2011 11:01 AM

mine was a king size. log cabin, about let see I cut it out in 1979 finsh it in2003.

longerarmer 03-20-2011 11:02 AM

mine was a king size. log cabin, about , let see I cut it out in 1979 finsh it in2003. after I retried

greaterexp 03-20-2011 11:53 AM

My first actual quilt was a shoofly, and it was a twin size. I made it for my daughter, who was barely 2 then. She's 26 now. I hand pieced and hand quilted it. She still has it!

mojo11 03-20-2011 12:50 PM

Mine was a queen size ohio star. Started big and continue to do big. Oh, I did make one baby quilt. LOL

Martha Hamman 03-20-2011 02:12 PM

Mine was a queen/king sampler. Boyee, what a way to start.