Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How can I repair a small cut in quilt backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-can-i-repair-small-cut-quilt-backing-t175859.html)

rayjanetwashburn 01-16-2012 12:42 PM

How can I repair a small cut in quilt backing?

I was using the seam ripper and made a small cut in the quilt backing. How can this be repaired? I am just sick about this. Seems like this quilt has given me lots of problems. The cut is about one half inch long. Hope someone will have some helpful suggestions. The quilting is about half done.

Jersey Gal 01-16-2012 12:53 PM

My thoughts...you can cover it was a patch of the same fabric, or a label. Perhaps you can duplicate a block from the quilt's front, and sew it over that area, or just add something whimsical.
I know you must be sick about the cut considering all the time and effort you've put into making the quilt. But, don't
be hard on yourself.

RST 01-16-2012 12:56 PM

I would stitch a darning type stitch to keep the slit from spreading, then I would cover it with an applique. To make it seem intentional, I would scatter a handful of applique motifs over the back, possibly working in some of the information that would be on a quilt label -- name, date, recipient, occasion. Make your applique shape tie in with either the pattern on the front or some motif from the fabrics -- ideas could be a simple leaf, hearts, geometrics, flowers, butterflies -- all depends on the style of the quilt.
RST

Greenheron 01-16-2012 12:56 PM

Put your label over it. (I recognize that 'punched-in-the-stomach' awful feeling, with sympathy. I'm sure you'll receive lots of good suggestions.)

jaciqltznok 01-16-2012 01:04 PM

can you slip a small piece of fusible web into the opening and then pull shut and iron to seal it? You will still need to place something over it, but at least it is not very large!

QuiltE 01-16-2012 01:17 PM

Ditto to the other suggestions!!

You didn't mention if the quilt is already assembled or not?

If not assembled, you could do a machine embroidered applique overtop to coordinate with the quilt's theme.
And if you thought it looked out of place ... do a few more scattered across the backing. Or a grouping together.

majormom 01-16-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by RST (Post 4880978)
I would stitch a darning type stitch to keep the slit from spreading, then I would cover it with an applique. To make it seem intentional, I would scatter a handful of applique motifs over the back, possibly working in some of the information that would be on a quilt label -- name, date, recipient, occasion. Make your applique shape tie in with either the pattern on the front or some motif from the fabrics -- ideas could be a simple leaf, hearts, geometrics, flowers, butterflies -- all depends on the style of the quilt.
RST

This is an excellent idea. Or just sew your label over it. The label doesn't really have to be at the bottom corner. :-)

IAmCatOwned 01-16-2012 01:43 PM

I cover it with an small applique. Most of the time, it's too difficult to darn an repair in,but you can do that as well.

stampinteresa 01-16-2012 07:31 PM

Great ideas. I understand how you feel with various sewing projects over the years. Good luck.

dublb 01-16-2012 07:43 PM

:eek::(:(:( I'm so sorry. {Hugs!} I put Fray Check & then appliqued over the hole that I got on the back of one of my quilts. I hope this helps.