Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How can you build up stash when life gets in the way (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-can-you-build-up-stash-when-life-gets-way-t86217.html)

Prism99 12-30-2010 12:54 PM

Do you have access to a computer? Depending on where you live, it can help to check Craigslist and Freecycle online. Freecycle usually allows you to post one request per week for free items; you could request cotton fabrics for quilting.

Do be careful when making arrangements to pick up things. Never go alone.

Garage sales can be a thrifty source for fabrics too. Thrift shops where I am seem to overprice fabrics a lot, but some thrift shops are very reasonable. Sometimes at our thrift shop I will see some interesting bedsheets for very reasonable prices. They can make great quilt backs, or even be cut up for a pieced top. Our thrift shops have percent-off days every week too, plus "senior" days, etc. which makes the prices even better.

I would also make it clear to everyone that I really appreciate cotton fabric yardage for gifts.

dogles 12-30-2010 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the help.

featherweight 12-30-2010 01:04 PM

I agree, I buy a whole lot of fabrics at the thrift. Today I bought 3, 2 yd pieces of really nice fabric. I paid under $5.00 for all of it. That is about .85 a yard. You just can't compain on that.

Twisted Quilter 12-30-2010 02:26 PM

50% Red Tag clearance at JoAnn's, plus the 10% off sale or regular price coupon. I believe the Red Tag sale goes thru New Year's Day. :thumbup:

MissM 12-30-2010 02:49 PM

you an also try www.shopgoodwill.com they have bags of material up for bid as well as quilt kits.

CarrieAnne 12-30-2010 03:29 PM

We have some ladies here whosell fabric pieces at great prices too! I just bought several yards for $4 and $5 a yard!

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 12-30-2010 04:27 PM

Soooo sorry for your loss. Big (((((HUGS))))) coming your way. Some people cut up shirts (maybe you have some of your hubby's) or dresses to use for fabrics besides using coupons for fabric or buying sale fabric. Also scout out garage sales for people selling some of their "stash" to make room for more fabric. It really doesn't take long to build up your stash. Good luck.

Up North 12-30-2010 04:29 PM

I know how it is to be strapped for money and not be able to purchase fabric. Watch the pay it forward topic on here sometimes you hit the Jackpot and then pay it forward in one way or another when you can. It can just be helping a person in need or making a small thing for someone in a nursing home.

BellaBoo 12-30-2010 05:02 PM

All hobbies will require extra money in the budget unless you are lucky enough to have everything you need given to you. I would suggest going to yard sales. Yard sale clothing/fabric are much cheaper then thrift store sales. Look for the XXL clothing.

SuziC 12-30-2010 05:25 PM

I am SO sorry for your loss. Just pick up whatever you can from outlet stores, thrift shops, goodwill stores. Garage sales are great when the weather is better. Just build your stash slowly and before you know it...it will multiply all by itself.