Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to charge for "making" a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-charge-making-quilt-t292842.html)

saragasch 11-25-2017 08:24 AM

How to charge for "making" a quilt

I was recently asked if I could "make" a quilt for someone, they would provide the fabric. Apparently, they bought the fabric, started to sew and realized they had no idea what they were doing. The pattern they want is actually very easy. I have no idea on what to charge for something like this. I'm assuming they want me to baste and quilt it too. Any ideas on what is fair?

linda8450 11-25-2017 08:59 AM

If fair is the goal, your time x $10 hour??? If you would like to do it, fair is what you feel is reasonable and if you Don't want to do it fair is high enough so they go somewhere else! I have repaired a quilt that a beginner made, with about 45 places where they didn't know the bottom fabric wasn't stitched to the top fabric, and lots of bias bumps and humps. I spent about 20 hours at a retreat doing this. Then i bought the backing, sent it out to be hand quilted, made the label and bound the quilt. I charged $650 (hand quilting and materials were about $300). She was thrilled, I was glad to do it, and I felt that was fair.

joe'smom 11-25-2017 09:04 AM

First decide if this is something you want to do. If not, say 'no.'

Do you have any idea what this person's expectations are, as far as cost and time frame? Be sure and sit down and discuss cost and expectations before you agree to do the work. Then put what you've agreed on in writing , both of you sign it, and ask for half the cost up front.

As to what to charge, what do you consider fair compensation for your time and skill? You could base it on time, estimate how long it will take you, and calculate the total based on an acceptable hourly wage, or you could settle on a sum based on amount charged per square inch and pattern difficulty. I don't know would be typical for that, but I'm sure others will be able to make suggestions.

PaperPrincess 11-25-2017 09:20 AM

Whatever you do, please put it in writing before you start. State what you will do: piece the top, sandwich, quilt & bind. List any materials you will have to purchase, such as backing fabric, batting and quilting thread. Get a non refundable 50% deposit on your time, plus any outlay for materials. Make copies, both sign & keep a copy.
As far as what to charge, you are providing a skilled service and there is wear & tear on your machine, so a minimum of $10/hour. If the quilt isn't cut out yet, be sure to include time for that. If it is cut, take a good look before you provide an estimate as an inexperienced quilter may have not cut accurately. If they cut too big, you will need to recut the pieces or the block. If too skimpy, you may have to revise the pattern. As far as estimating your time, I'd make a block using some scrap fabric keeping track of my time, then multiply by the number of blocks. You will need to add time for any sashing or borders. You are going to have to base your quilting & binding estimate on your previous experience.

bearisgray 11-25-2017 09:38 AM

From my experience - redos - including redoing my own things - take much longer and are more aggravating than- starts from the very beginning.

You need to include undoing/redoing time.

Anniedeb 11-25-2017 10:45 AM

How do you feel about this person? I have certain friends that if they asked me I would do it in a heartbeat, for free. Others I'd have to have a "conversation"with. It sounds like this person is aware that she/he could not do it. You need to price/value your time, or additional fabric, batting, supplies. Perhaps they have no idea what is involved. Make sure everything is in writing!

Jingle 11-25-2017 07:11 PM

I just make my own quilts. too much aggravation for me.

Good luck.

Krisb 11-25-2017 08:05 PM

If it is a dear friend, I will do it without charge. Otherwise, I don’t do it at all.

stichinluvr 11-26-2017 06:21 AM

These are all very good thoughts. Thanks for all the input. Hope I remember if it happens to me.

dunster 11-26-2017 06:41 AM

Another possibility is to offer to teach this person how to make her own quilt. It seems like she wants to learn, but doesn't know how to start.