Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Could I do That? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-could-i-do-t54129.html)

MistyMarie 07-12-2010 01:17 PM

One of my first finished quilts was for an ex-fiance and I think he probably long ago tossed the quilt! (It was over twelve years ago.) It was a king-sized Looney Tunes flannel quilt and I thought - the fluffier the batting, the better- so I made the quilt into a GIANT pillowcase and stuffed two layers of high-loft batting into it. Then, I poorly FMQed the borders first and tied the rest of the quilt. It actually looked pretty good, but the ties started coming undone after awhile. I shudder to think what happened if he washed it!

Boston1954 07-12-2010 01:21 PM

Go to the search section at the top of the page and put in

"What is the silliest thing you did while quilting" and you will see my big story AND quite a few others. We have ALL done some things that we would not want to see on the CBS Evening News. :lol: :lol:

clem55 07-12-2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
When I first started this time (I had quilted as a child but different system all together) I made a doll quilt for my dd with flannel on the back. I'd never heard of a walking foot or a darning foot. It was pretty bad but she still uses it. It doesn't look too bad from the front. LOL

You have REALLY learned all the lessons until you've sewn through your finger, nail and all. It's a lesson you'll never want to repeat. Or dropped a rotary cutter on your foot/toe.

Not yet with the rotery cutter, but the needle through the nail bit I did while sewing on nylon net. And, I snipped the end of my finger when I tried out my new Ginhger(?) scissors.

RevPam 07-12-2010 01:33 PM

On several occassions (you'd think I'd learn) I've been frustrated because my Bernina would just not go. I'd check cords, turn it off and on and walk away disgusted. Then my sewing buddy would calmly reach over and slide the bobbin winder back where it belongs.

Sandra-P 07-12-2010 01:40 PM

Oh too funny! I appreciate each and every story. Thanks for the chuckles. I am still shaking my head at how I did that. I thought it was being stubborn not letting me just slide the quilt around. It was only loops of quilting, good thing.

sewmuchmore 07-12-2010 01:42 PM

Been there and done that. :-(

sueisallaboutquilts 07-12-2010 01:59 PM

I cannot tell you how many times I've sewn wrong sides together!!! :D:D

nana pat 07-12-2010 05:25 PM

Having made cloths for my entire family(7 of us)for many years, I can attest to the fact that switching from dresses and jeans to quilting taught me the only thing they have in common is the machine and me.

littlehud 07-12-2010 06:34 PM

I tried to sew on my Pfaff and it wouldn't sew. It just made this funny whirring sounds. I was so mad. I took everything apart, rethreaded it and checked the bobbin. I was ready to take it in to the shop where I bought it in the morning. Than I realized the bobbin winder was pushed over to wind the bobbin. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I pushed it back and it sewed perfectly. Opps.

wvdek 07-12-2010 07:49 PM

You poor thing. I am surprised you didn't 'throw in the towel' and quit sewing altogether.