Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to cut long strips straight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-cut-long-strips-straight-t195988.html)

Mickey1 07-28-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5401202)
Another tip about cutting. If you are cutting two inch strips, re cut every two cuts to straighten the edge, three inch strips, re cut to get a straight edge after every third cut, four inch strips - re straighten every fourth cut and so on. I paid good money to learn this at a very expensive quilt retreat. LOL.

Thanks for the tip!

Latrinka 07-29-2012 05:08 AM

I would definitley get a larger cutting mat if at all possible.

Stitchit123 07-29-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 (Post 5400570)
I recently needed long strips for binding, so I tore it instead of cutting. Ironing flattened the edges nicely.

This is the only way I get straight strips-every time.

sherryl1 07-29-2012 05:45 AM

what is "saw cut?"

IdahoSandy 07-29-2012 07:56 AM

Watch for a sale on self healing matts at 50% off, try 18 x 24 inch size. Thinking you mat is just too small.

junegerbracht 07-29-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5400785)
Bigger mat and june tailor shape cut with the slots You can get the small 12"one at joanns. walmart use to carry JT but they stopped. The bigger 18" one you have to order from joanns. You can still get bigger mats from walmart. The small mats are good for small cutting

I agree - I bought larger (18") one from amazon.com at great price.

mcar 07-30-2012 03:14 AM

One tip not mentioned yet, but is VERY important is this. When using the rotary cutter and the ruler, even non slip, spider your fingers over the ruler with one finger ON THE BOARD to keep it from slipping. Move this hand up the ruler very carefully,stop the cutter, slowly changing your hand position on the ruler at least 4 times as your cutter reaches your hand position.... even up to the last cut as that is often where the ruler can slip if not held in place. Make this a habit and you will be fine.

homecaregiver 07-30-2012 03:51 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful tips for rotary cutter. Not a beginner but it helps to review every now and then.
Pat

damaquilts 07-30-2012 05:18 AM

This has been one thing I rarely get right in all the years I have been doing it. No matter how many times I fold and refold and smooth and recut I rarely get it to go straight without a v in the middle. For wide piece, borders for example, I always tear but when I need to cut the 2 or 2.5 strips I spend most of my time refolding and recutting and putting crooked strips in the scrap box. I have 2 18x24 mats, one omnigrid, one olfa and had one of the bigger gray mats(which killed my blades quicker btw) . I guess all of us has one thing that is just a bear to us.

Grace MooreLinker 07-30-2012 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by misskira (Post 5400654)
I feel I get more accurate cuts when I fold selvage to selvage and then fold again, salvages to fold for 4 layers. My fabric stays more stable and I'm less likely to have my ruler shift. A sharp blade helps a ton too.

This is the way I cut my strips, I iron each fold.