Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How did you learn how to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-did-you-learn-how-quilt-t123063.html)

Nancy O. 05-15-2011 09:10 AM

My Grandmother quilted by hand, but passed away when I was 8 yrs. old. My Mother never had time for crafts with 6 kids. My Mother always said I was just like my Grandmother. I started with small sewing projects. I took sewing classes and made dance costumes for my 3 daughters when they were young. When I retired 3 1/2 yrs ago, my daughter said it was time to take quilting classes. I signed up a Joann's and found a great teacher there. I still belong to Joann's quilting club, but I do most quilting on my own now. Still learning at club, internet, books and this great quilting board. I have learned so much from my fellow board members. Just love this place.

Eileen 05-15-2011 09:12 AM

At a LQS with a friend about 8 years ago.

Chris Kieffer 05-15-2011 09:16 AM

A couple of books, you tube, and this wonderful board!!

GramaLaura 05-15-2011 09:22 AM

Sewing for my children left me with nothing to do when the nest was empty. Picked up Eleanor Burns and made my first log cabin! Haven't stopped since :-D

Ileen 05-15-2011 09:25 AM

I learned from My Grandmother. Both of Them.

sandwich child 05-15-2011 09:53 AM

As a child I watched my mom and her quilting bee sew quilts monthly, but she never taught me how to sew. About a year ago I was going through some of my mom's things and discovered a stash of quilt blocks. I was going to throw them out and decided at the last second to try making a quilt. So I started in blindly (none of the blocks were the same size) and ended up making a king size quilt (by hand) for my son. I was hooked and began taking quilting classes and am still at it. So far I've made 6 quilts and am totally obsessed!

sandwich child 05-15-2011 09:54 AM

As a child I watched my mom and her quilting bee sew quilts monthly, but she never taught me how to sew. About a year ago I was going through some of my mom's things and discovered a stash of quilt blocks. I was going to throw them out and decided at the last second to try making a quilt. So I started in blindly (none of the blocks were the same size) and ended up making a king size quilt (by hand) for my son. I was hooked and began taking quilting classes and am still at it. So far I've made 6 quilts and am totally obsessed!

lillybeck 05-15-2011 10:06 AM

I have been sewing for many years but my grandma taught me to quilt about 40 yrs ago

Homemother 05-15-2011 10:09 AM

A friend of mine wanted to learn how to applique and quilt so she asked me to learn and then, in turn, teacher her. I had a short personal tute on how to applique, then studied videos and directions and plunged head first into it all!

Taughtby Grandma 05-15-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by gunny148
I was tought by my Mother, my Grandmother,Great Aunt,my Wifes Grandmother. Started cutting blocks for my mother by hand. I have done many for friends and family.

Me too!