Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Did You Learn to Use A Thimble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-did-you-learn-use-thimble-t210782.html)

Holice 01-12-2013 11:22 AM

How Did You Learn to Use A Thimble

I meet many quilters who can't use a thimble and am trying to figure how I can advise them. How did you learn.

ontheriver 01-12-2013 11:39 AM

The only thimble I have been able to use is a leather one, never could get used to any other. I also like the dot ones you just stick on your finger.

happyquiltmom 01-12-2013 11:43 AM

I don't remember learning. I just did it, I guess.

Hylarie 01-12-2013 11:44 AM

I started using one when I decided to give hand quilting a try. I just put it on and went from there. It felt weird at first but got used to it really quick. I watched a couple YouTube videos on hand quilting to get the basics of it all.

Hinterland 01-12-2013 11:47 AM

When it was a choice between being able to sew and not being able to sew because of blood and pain, I learned. I had to figure it out on my own, and when I piece or applique I put it on my ring finger, not my middle finger. When I hand quilt I put the thimble on my middle finger. After a while I stopped thinking about it.

Janet

EasyPeezy 01-12-2013 12:15 PM

I started using a thimble since I was a kid. Liked to do what my grandma and old aunt did.
Thought it was cool to use a thimble even if I didn't know how to sew. Of course their
thimbles were too big for me. So I got my own and the rest is history.

roselady 01-12-2013 12:16 PM

I too had a hard time getting used to a thimble, but I really wanted to hand quilt. I tried the "Nimble Thimble" a small black leather thimble, it was the most comfortable and least noticeable. To get used to it, I wore it as long as a could, even when not quilting, so it would feel normal to have it on. That worked for me. I then had to learn to use a different kind when the needle kept finding the open space on that one.

huntannette 01-12-2013 12:27 PM

ditto.......

Originally Posted by Hylarie (Post 5781116)
I started using one when I decided to give hand quilting a try. I just put it on and went from there. It felt weird at first but got used to it really quick. I watched a couple YouTube videos on hand quilting to get the basics of it all.

BellaBoo 01-12-2013 01:28 PM

After the first time I pushed the needle end in my finger. I certainly didn't want a callous or the pain so I put on a thimble and left it on the whole time I was sewing. I kept trying to use the other finger that didn't have the thimble but when the needle started to hurt I switched to the thimble finger. That worked for me. The thimble goes on the middle finger not the index finger to get the best control.

Tartan 01-12-2013 01:48 PM

I use a thimble for hand quilting. It is a metal one with a good top ring edge that lets me load my stitches on the needle. I can't use any other kind of thimble without the edge rim. I took a quilting class with Ami Sims eons ago and that's how I learned.