Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Difficult Are.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-difficult-t179442.html)

Jingle 02-15-2012 07:34 AM

I agree with the others, try it and see if you would like to do enought to makes a quilt.
For me it sounds like a waste of time. I like faster quilts, been quilting for 46 yrs.

crafty pat 02-15-2012 10:00 AM

I will jump into any pattern if I like it. That is how I learned to grow in quilting.

mom-6 02-15-2012 10:06 AM

I've found that some I consider very easy to do are considered difficult by others and ones that I've been told are quick and easy have turned out to be anything but quick and easy for me, so I just look at something and if I like it, I give it a try. Some of the ones I've tried have turned into UFOs to be completed at some nebulous future date when I figure out how to make it look like I want it to. Others went together like a dream and have been gifted and loved by their intended recipients.
I say give it a try! You'll never know unless you do!

merry 02-15-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63 (Post 4976935)
"I have seen her quilts done a little "sloppier" than others and I have seen them done with precision."

Now I really am afraid to try, I got a set of her patterns with the owls and was very excited to get it at a good price . I even bought batiks to do it with but have been so afraid to cut into them because I never buy those expensive fabrics. I dont want to waste all that money and have a sloppy quilt. Dang maybe I should sell them.

I received Fly By Night & Leap of Faith for Christmas. Started on LOF & having a great time with it. Traced & Wonder-under -ed, just need to stitch - am thinking of satin stitching around birds. Have only done a few simple applique projects before this. For the eyes - try using a hole punch after you apply WU to fabric - that took some thinking ;) but works.

shnnn 02-15-2012 01:01 PM

I was just debating one of her patterns... still haven't decided. I did do a wall hanging that is similar to her style.. and didn't even attempt to zigzag all the little pieces. I just fused it all down then layered and quilted the pieces down. One thing I did notice is they get very stiff with all the layers of fusible.

mmb195152 02-15-2012 03:56 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I would need to order the patterns on line and pay postage, so ordering one doesn't pay unless I would order several. So now I have to decide. The patterns are on the quiltopolis site, and they are having a sale. I am interested in the flowers with the little chicks. I would use mostly fabric from my stash. I will go back again and think in terms of little pieces. Perhaps that will help me decide. Thanks all. m

BarbaraA 02-15-2012 06:30 PM

I say go for it. Applique is fun, using steam a seam 2 is wonderful. I have done several wall hangings and it is not necessay to machine applique around the shapes.

nana2madmax 02-16-2012 04:36 AM

I have made many of her quilts. I am currently working on her wildflower quilt (the second one) for a friend. You will need to purchase an applique pressing sheet, and I find that the Clover mini iron very helpful. You lay the pattern under the sheet and fuse the parts together before applying them to the background fabric. They will peel off the sheet as a unit. I use invisible thread and stitch very close to the edge of the pieces with a short stitch length. I do this as part of the quilting process.

Anna O 02-16-2012 04:38 AM

I love her stuff, but haven't ventured out, yet.

stitchinwitch 02-16-2012 06:34 AM

Someone posted a link the other day of HUGE discounts on McKenna's pattersn. AND fabric - I THINK it was 65% off!