Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to display quilts for sale? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-display-quilts-sale-t199721.html)

ragquilter 09-06-2012 10:04 AM

How to display quilts for sale?

I am considering setting up a small display in a consignment shop that is renting spaces for handmade things and I need display ideas. At the moment all I have are lap size and baby quilts but I'm unsure how to display them. I am only taking a small spot in a little corner to see if my quilts will sell there. At the flea market and Metrolina expo I just lay them across a card table and let people look through them. But I won't be there to constantly straighten them. I only make rag quilts with recycled fabric so I'm not concerned about touching, I actually encourage it. I need something cheap for now, I don't want to invest a bunch and then not make any sells.

Annie68 09-06-2012 10:43 AM

How about one of those wooden clothes drying racks with the dowels that fold up for moving around? A large one could hold quite a few quilts folded onto each dowel and wouldn't take much space.
Good luck with your sale.

Maggiemay 09-06-2012 10:56 AM

I was thinking along the same lines as the folding rack. How about leaning ladders against the wall & putting the quilts on the rungs?

SHELTIE'SMAMA 09-06-2012 10:58 AM

Depending on the height you have how about a some sort of ladder contraption -- possibly wide enough to get 2 lenghwise folded quilts draped over each rung and possibly hooks on the side rungs which could hold even more draped quilts? Good luck with your sales!

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter (Post 5495149)
I am considering setting up a small display in a consignment shop that is renting spaces for handmade things and I need display ideas. At the moment all I have are lap size and baby quilts but I'm unsure how to display them. I am only taking a small spot in a little corner to see if my quilts will sell there. At the flea market and Metrolina expo I just lay them across a card table and let people look through them. But I won't be there to constantly straighten them. I only make rag quilts with recycled fabric so I'm not concerned about touching, I actually encourage it. I need something cheap for now, I don't want to invest a bunch and then not make any sells.

I don't know where you could find this, but what about the metal arm things that rugs are displayed on? I don't know how you'd show them and not end up with them piled somewhere---------probably the floor.

Lori S 09-06-2012 11:11 AM

I bought a cheap wire grid rack for displaying. It worked out great , I can use cloths pins to attach. It stands 6 feet tall giving great height and improves what is visable to the customers as they pass by. I did the cloths rack thing ... poor sales ... used the grid .. sales went up 400 percent.

Or look for a used architectural drawing hanging file. They are similiar to the rug hanging things. Many architectural firms are discarding their hanging files since so much is stored electronically. They have a continuous clamp along the top and hold about 15 drawing sets. You can double up ( back to back ) the quilts and get 30 on some these type. They can be pricey new ... but if you can find one used they go for really cheap.
this is a photo of what I am refering
http://www.engineersupply.com/hanging-file-centers.aspx

QuiltnNan 09-06-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Annie68 (Post 5495231)
How about one of those wooden clothes drying racks with the dowels that fold up for moving around? A large one could hold quite a few quilts folded onto each dowel and wouldn't take much space.
Good luck with your sale.

this was my first thought as well. good luck to you

Deborahlees 09-06-2012 12:24 PM

the more you show, the better they will catch the eye of a buyer.....and the better they will sell....
I would seriously consider on a wall....as open as possible....and perhaps away from peoples dirty
hands, with you not there to keep an eye on them they will be handled by 'every body'

ragquilter 09-06-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA (Post 5495263)
Depending on the height you have how about a some sort of ladder contraption -- possibly wide enough to get 2 lenghwise folded quilts draped over each rung and possibly hooks on the side rungs which could hold even more draped quilts? Good luck with your sales!

I thought about something like that but I was concerned about it getting pulled over by a child or even an adult. I will think more along those lines, maybe my DBIL would build something with a sturdy base. I'm taking the smallest space I could get but it's right inside the door of one of the rooms so hopefully that will help. Thank you

Tashana 09-06-2012 03:24 PM

Look for a quilt rack on craiglist or garage sales. They can usually hold more than one large quilt. If you have baby quilts you can fold in third lengthwise and display quite a few. Quilt racks, especially the old ones, are very stable. I have a wrought iron rack used to display table mats and linen. It would be perfect. I got it from a store going out of business, I think, it was ages ago. I use it in the guest room for extra towels and of course a quilt. Good luck!